Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished brewing a 5 gallon extract batch w/ a 4 gallon boil volume. OG measured a bit higher than expected at 1.071 (maybe because I used 7lb of LDME as opposed to XLDME?). I'll post FG when I've got it!

Measured FG at 1.025 after a week in primary. I'm going to forget about this one and let it sit in primary for another week or two and then bottle for a camping trip in March.

Just finished the brew day - A 5 gal batch of the DG clone (Thanks for the recipe Yoop). I decided to go with 12 lbs of the Maris Otter since I went with a BIAB two - 5 gallon kettle method (split 3 gal strike / 2 gal sparge). I fully expected some losses in efficiency since I tried this method once before.

End of the day... OG 1.074 :drunk: (Meas. 1.073 @ 73F)...Hope I didn't over do it.:D Calc efficiency @ 76%. We'll see what we've got about 24 days from now.

Thanks to all for the info provided in this thread on this recipe. BTW, I substituted Northern Brewer for Pearle hops (LHBS recommendation).

We actually just racked to the secondary after it spent 2 weeks in the primary - lost track of time I suppose. We're going to let her sit for a week and then we're bottling.

Finally bottled last night. Came out with a FG of 1.019 (5.9%) not bad! Has it been three weeks yet?

Couldn't wait the whole week? :D

I know the feeling. I keep pacing back and forth in front of mine. Yesterday I had to sanitize a shot glass and sneak a sample. It was smooooooth. You could definitely taste the alcohol. Last I checked, gravity was at 1.024 to put me just over 6% ABV. Hoping the FG will come down just the slightest bit more. Every bit counts right?

Couldn't wait the whole week? :D

I know the feeling. I keep pacing back and forth in front of mine. Yesterday I had to sanitize a shot glass and sneak a sample. It was smooooooth. You could definitely taste the alcohol. Last I checked, gravity was at 1.024 to put me just over 6% ABV. Hoping the FG will come down just the slightest bit more. Every bit counts right?

I'd say so! Your starting gravity was 1.071, right? That's interesting, considering I used 9lbs LME in mine. What yeast did you use?

I was actually quite surprised by how my FG came to Yooper's FG. However, I can only estimate what my SG was because I didn't take it correctly. MY LHBS noted that with 9 lbs LME, I'd get to the 1.063-4 range...so I can only go from there.

I'll try to post pictures of a side-by-side comparison when she's done priming.

I will say: it's good to have a pipeline going if you're only bottling. I get to try a new (finished) brew about every two weeks! Two weeks from now will be my first go with my first batch of Apfelwein, then a week afterward, I'll get to try the Dead Guy. Can't wait.

I screwed something up in my process (since fixed) and way undershot my OG on this one. I ended up around 5.4% ABV, but it still tastes wonderful and with that classic Dead Guy flavor. In fact, after half a keg, I think I prefer it to the "Full Size" model.

Here's my BeerSmith printout... I used a pacman starter. My boil size was 4 gal too.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Dead Guy
Brewer: Steel Head Brewery
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (40.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 15.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 73.68 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.50 oz Pearle [6.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
0.25 oz Pearle [6.50 %] (30 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.25 oz Saaz [5.80 %] (5 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.25 oz Pearle [6.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Pacman Yeast (Wyeast) [Starter 50 ml] [CulYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 2.50 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------
Steeped grains at 165 for 30 minutes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I brewed the extract version of this today. Like Yooper, I went all XLDME instead of half and half with LME. My problem is that there is a lot of what looks like hop residue in the wort/beer. I did not use hop bags or strain into the fermenter, but I have done same thing on my previous couple batches and did not see the same thing. After my initial aeration (shaking the BB), the wort settled and there was a clear top level of clear wort and bottom level of cloudy wort. I've pitched my starter and shook it up again directly after, but I assume it's going to settle out the same. Is this something to worry about? Is there anything to be done at this point (about half an hour after pitching)? Or, as usual, should I RDWHAHB?

I brewed the extract version of this today. Like Yooper, I went all XLDME instead of half and half with LME. My problem is that there is a lot of what looks like hop residue in the wort/beer. I did not use hop bags or strain into the fermenter, but I have done same thing on my previous couple batches and did not see the same thing. After my initial aeration (shaking the BB), the wort settled and there was a clear top level of clear wort and bottom level of cloudy wort. I've pitched my starter and shook it up again directly after, but I assume it's going to settle out the same. Is this something to worry about? Is there anything to be done at this point (about half an hour after pitching)? Or, as usual, should I RDWHAHB?

My clone has been in primary for 18 days and I have a lot of residue floating on the top. I dipped a sanitized shot glass in it the other day and snuck a taste. It was fine, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have nothing to worry about. I figure when I transfer to keg, I'll just leave the residue behind!

Well, it's been 21 days...well, technically 23. I'm doing a side-by-side pint comparison tonight (as well as making a Ruination clone and an EPA). I'll post pictures and note the differences.

Went with this recipe. Only had 11 pounds of Marris Otter so I upped the Munichs by 4 ounces each. No Saaz so I read that Rogue uses Sterling now which is great because I have that.

Just mashed in and hit my target of 158*.

Rogue Dead Guy Ale
5-A Maibock/Helles Bock
Author: Yooper

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 218.57 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.065 (1.064 - 1.072)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.011 - 1.018)
Color: 13.99 (6.0 - 11.0)
Alcohol: 6.46% (6.3% - 7.4%)
Bitterness: 34.8 (23.0 - 35.0)

Ingredients:
11.0 lb Maris Otter Pale
1.25 lb Caramunich® TYPE I
1.25 lb Munich Malt
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
1.0 oz Perle (8.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Perle (8.1%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
.25 oz Perle (8.1%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
.25 oz Sterling (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 70.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
Mash at 156-158 for 45 minutes or until conversion is complete.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.7

Just mashed for 48 minutes and now am recirculating the mash for 5 minutes. Temp probe in the top never moved from 158* and the Blichmann Brewmometer near the bottom/middle read 156* before recirculation.

Cracked this open a couple nights ago. Tasted GREAT! Gave a 12 pack to a buddy for helping me build a brew stand yesterday and bringing a bunch to another buddy's birthday BBQ today. Should be a hit!

23855_382131909390_657949390_3627007_7794561_n.jpg

Well, it's been 21 days...well, technically 23. I'm doing a side-by-side pint comparison tonight (as well as making a Ruination clone and an EPA). I'll post pictures and note the differences.

Just realized I never posted back on this.

A side-by-side comparison shows that my clone is slightly darker than the real deal (probably due to a little extract carmelization and a darker caramunich used), but it tastes excellent! Best beer I've made to date - just doesn't taste anything like a Dead Guy! I'll try the recipe again when I get into AG, but regardless, I like the beer.

Yet another update, I brought several bottles of this for review at my regional homebrewer's association meeting and was by far considered the best beer tasted! Not bad for a 3 gal-boil LME extract batch!

Yet another update, I brought several bottles of this for review at my regional homebrewer's association meeting and was by far considered the best beer tasted! Not bad for a 3 gal-boil LME extract batch!

That's awesome! I think the malty flavor definitely is the winner in this beer. I have to make it again sometime- it's been a while since we've had it and it's about time to make a batch of it.

If you're considering making this recipe, don't hesitate another second. It was my sixth batch; I've been happy with four of the other five, but not ecstatic. This is the first one that made me feel like I'm an actual homebrewer, I would be proud to serve this beer to the most experienced craft beer drinker. And I even snuck a taste a week early before it's finished carbonating, so it's not even finished and I'm about to have a second one!

I brewed the extract version of this and it came out fantastic. It was the fifth batch of my second go round with homebrewing and it's the first batch I'm truly proud of. I did the side by side comparison with the real thing today it was almost identical. I will absolutely be brewing this once or twice a year.

I just picked up the all-grain ingredients for this (with Safale). The total was $28 out the door which I didn't think was bad.

I have to use RO water so I build my water. Is there a specific water profile you recommend?

Thanks!

I'd use EZ spreadsheet (by -th here on HBT) and go for a "balanced" to "malty" water profile. Just make sure all the minerals are at or above the minimum recommended amounts and you'd be all set.

I'd use EZ spreadsheet (by -th here on HBT) and go for a "balanced" to "malty" water profile. Just make sure all the minerals are at or above the minimum recommended amounts and you'd be all set.

Thanks. I've used that spreadsheet for my past two brews and it's worked great. I'll shoot for malty since that seems to be the style preferred for this recipe.

Finally got this in the keg and carbed. I did the extract version with pacman yeast. Tastes amazing.

OG was 1.070. FG was 1.020
fermented in the 63-65 degree range
primary for 10 days secondary for 30 days

Trying to get my head around which malts to use for the DG clone.

Maris Otter - Obviously the same
Caramunich - Is this Weyermann Caramunich I??
Munich - Is this Weyermann Munich 1??
Crystal 40L - Weyermann Caramunich II??

Thats alot of crystal!

Trying to get my head around which malts to use for the DG clone.

Maris Otter - Obviously the same
Caramunich - Is this Weyermann Caramunich I??
Munich - Is this Weyermann Munich 1??
Crystal 40L - Weyermann Caramunich II??

Thats alot of crystal!

Caramunich and crystal are crystal malts, but 1.5 pounds for an OG of 1.066 it really isn't too much. I haven't used caramunich II, so I don't know how close the crystal 40L is but I've used both British and American crystal malts. You could use Carahell or Carared for the crystal 40L if that's all you can find.

Munich malt is Munich malt I. Weyermann does make one- and that is one of the best. It's a nice Munich malt.

Thanks Yopper. Carahell from my comparison spreadsheet is 10L. 40L states its Caramunich II. So I think i will go with that. Even though it just dosent seem right :D

TF Floor Malted MO
Weyermann Munich I
Weyermann Caramunich I
Weyermann Caramunich II
Pacman

Yummmmmmmmmmmm

Purchased ingredients for my second go-round...not expecting it to taste like RDG, but hopefully, I'll have a decent malt maibocky style ale that I can continuously replicate. Here's the ingredients I'm using, which are similar to what I used last time around - mainly depending on what my LBHS has:

9 lbs LLME
1 lb Light Munich Malt (Weyermann)
1 lb Caravienne Malt (Castle)
1 lb Crystal 45
2 oz Perle (60, 30, 15, 5)
1/4 oz Saaz (5)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15)
Safale US05 (chico)

The last time I did this, I only did a 3 gal boil and dumped all the LME in at first boil. Regardless, it came out tasting awesome, just nothing like RDG. I'm trying to emulate the taste, just make it better by doing a full boil now that I have the proper equipment - I'll also be adding just 3lbs at the start of the boil and the remaining portion at 10 minutes.

I'm not going to back off the Perle hops due to a full boil...I felt that since last time I used 3 lbs grains + 9 lbs LME, the malt dominated the hops...I think this could balance it a little more. I also didn't use a yeast starter last time and I didn't transfer to a secondary. This time I'm planning on doing both.

Thoughts on the modified recipe? I would order online to get a little more precise, but since I liked the last batch so much (as well as many others) I'm trying to replicate it and see if I can make it improved - that and I get an 8% discount as a result of having a local homebrewing association membership :)

I think it'll be way too much perle. I'd use the AG recipe for hopping. Depending on how much you add at each time, you may have too much bittering and definitely too much flavor hops (of the perle, not the saaz).

Finally got this in the keg and carbed. I did the extract version with pacman yeast. Tastes amazing.

OG was 1.070. FG was 1.020
fermented in the 63-65 degree range
primary for 10 days secondary for 30 days

I guess your secondary and primary at the same temperature?

I guess your secondary and primary at the same temperature?

Yup.... drinking the results right now and it tastes great.

I brewed a 60 minutes IPA clone (another one of Yoopers recipes) using Pacman yeast and just dry hopped it yesterday...Can't wait to see how that one comes out.

As of right now I am in love with Pacman yeast

I think it'll be way too much perle. I'd use the AG recipe for hopping. Depending on how much you add at each time, you may have too much bittering and definitely too much flavor hops (of the perle, not the saaz).

Just re-read what I posted and I can see how that might reflect too much Perle. I posted the total perle I purchased :). I'll be following the AG hop schedule. Thanks Yooper!

Had a good brewday with this recipe on Cinco de Mayo - hit a gravity of 1.070! Good thing I made a Safale US05 starter! That sucker is goin nuts in the primary!

The yeast experts do not recommend starters for dry yeast. It can be counterproductive.

I have yet to take an SG, but the crazy activity would say otherwise. Counterproductive in what fashion? Limited attenuation/floccuation?

I have yet to take an SG, but the crazy activity would say otherwise. Counterproductive in what fashion? Limited attenuation/floccuation?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/yeast-starter-using-dry-yeast-79535/

I'm not an expert myself, but this has been the consensus on this website. If you are making a normal gravity beer, your results would probably be just fine. Once dry yeast takes off, it's a notorious rapid attentuator (at least that's been my experience) as the cell count is off the charts.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/yeast-starter-using-dry-yeast-79535/

I'm not an expert myself, but this has been the consensus on this website. If you are making a normal gravity beer, your results would probably be just fine. Once dry yeast takes off, it's a notorious rapid attentuator (at least that's been my experience) as the cell count is off the charts.

I see...so the point being that I might get more attenuation than what I'm hoping for - ultimately getting a drier beer or more alcohol than desired, right?

After 5 1/2 days, my activity has slowed - it was crazy vigorous in the first 48 hours - very similar to the first batch I made, but slowed afterwards and my bubbling has gone down significantly. I'll take an SG tonight and report back.

I figured that with an initial gravity of 1.070, I needed a starter. My first batch used US05, unhydrated. This time I didn't have any liquid yeast on hand, let alone what Yooper suggested, so I made a US05 starter.

If my SG is dangerously flirting with 1.015 or below, what can I throw in there to stop fermentation? Would cold crashing help?

Back