Dead fridge, but cold garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
I don't even know what I'm asking here, but will take any feedback.

My old fridge/kegerator seems to have given up the ghost. It's a late 1980's Whirlpool. The freezer section had ice cream in the liquid form. Other than that, I may never have noticed because the fridge section was the usual 39F while the garage temp is also around 39F, getting colder in the evenings.

First question: How does a fridge work when it is in an environment where it's colder outside than inside? Am I missing something I'm not thinking of or is it really dead?

Second question: If it is dead, do I leave the beer in it for the winter? I mean, the garage temps will be in the 20's to 30's most of the winter. Perhaps the fridge is still worth using for a while to moderate temps in the garage, preventing the beer from getting too cold when it dips below freezing in the garage? Maybe leave the door closed? Maybe leave the door open?

I may need some time before I can get or find another kegerator. Damn, I had a lot of cool stickers and a handmade wooden floor put into that fridge.

I had the same problem with my fridge but magically when it warmed up the freezer started working again. I think what happens is because the fridge is in a cold garage the compressor never kicks on so the freezer won't freeze. Put it in a warmer place and it will work fine.

Well, I'll keep going with it as an icebox while the garage remains in the 30's. When temps warm up over 40, I'll plug it in again and see what happens. If it doesn't kick in, I'll start looking for a replacement.

Homebrew newbie but serious DIYer here!

I recently bought a broken kegerator. My DIY journey into fixing it was great fun. Turns out fridges and freezers are really simple machines. While there are lots of things that can make them not work, they are pretty simple to troubleshoot. If its a mini you have only 2 points to check.

#1 does the compressor work? Unplug, wait a couple of minutes plug back in. Do you hear any noise? No noise means compressor not working. Could be either bad compressor, bad starter, or bad temp sensor. If you are comfortable working with 110v jump the compressor and see if it works. If it does replace starter as they are only 5$ or so. Unlikey its the temp sensor but if so external temp controllers are cheap. If compressor is actually bad you can replace. Compressors are cheap but you have to be comfortable soldering copper to replace one. Lots of videos on youtube.

#2 coolant ( freon) level too low/leak. Its actually probably r134a or r12 and not really freon but....
If compressor is running and the evaporator (metal plate in fridge that should get frosty) not getting cold probably low on "freon"
$3 dollar part from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DM8J3MI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
And a $9 can of r134 from autoparts store and its fixed.
Youtube video:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUwRf66Afk&desktop_uri=/watch?v=YBUwRf66Afk

If its a full size fridge/freezer it may have 2 additional failure points, the condenser fan, and the circulation fan. Both are simple electric bladed fans. The condenser fan is located underneath the fridge. Look and see if its turning! The circulation fan is hidden someplace inside the fridge. Look for duct outlets and feel for airflow. Very unlikely that either of the fans are hard failed. Clean both thoroughly and they will probably spin right up. Judging by freezer not working I would not suspect circulation fan but...

Temp in the garage is not an issue if the freezer portion is not freezing! Temp sensor is inside freezer.

Good luck and feel free to PM with any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you the fridge is fine. Same thing happens to mine every winter, I have to empty the freezer out when it starts getting cold.

My freezer and fridge compartments are cooled at the same time, not independently from each other. The thermostat is in the fridge compartment. So, if it is cold out and the fridge does not need to kick on, then the freezer won't either. The freezer will gradually warm up above freezing. I'd imagine yours is the same way.

Back