Dead Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowthere

Reaction score
So I learned that My chest freezer died, by the fact that I come home today and see my fermenter's Ranco temp controller at 78 degrees. It wasn't a Belgian ale either... It is still making noise, but not cooling at all, no coolness on the inside walls. I guess this is what happens when these die??? I bought it used about two years ago and I guess I got my money out of it.

What noise, you might still be able to revive it (if you can be bothered). From what I have read sometimes it is just the capacitor to kick start the compressor motor that goes, probably a 30 min job.

If the motor runs and it doesn't cool, that is not good at all. Very simple machine. Either an inefficient compressor or a freon leak.

The motor runs, and no cooling at all. I'm not great with electric wiring. About the most impressive thing that I've done is wiring my rancos.

Any tips or advice on how to salvage this very welcome (walk throughs, etc.). Not sure if it is possible though.

Back