Deactivated Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmantzey

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Grolsch clone right now. It's my first lager, so of course I made mistakes.

I don't want to get into the debate over whether or not to use a secondary, but I did choose to use a secondary for this brew. My mistake was, I didn't wait for the krausen to fall. It was only about halfway through the fermentation process, and since I transferred it and put it back into my fridge, it's pretty much halted. It's been in there for over a week now and the gravity has only changed by .001 (which may be no more than error in reading the hydrometer at that low a change).

Anyway, what I'm planning to do is pitch more yeast. According to the reference at:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-7.html

this is something that is sometimes necessary anyway after long lager fermentation phases, in order to provide active yeast for priming.

However, in my case, I either removed most of the yeast, or deactivated it when I transferred it. I may have slightly under pitched in the first place anyway. I did use a starter, but I saw something that recommended using 2 packs of yeast for a lager. It was fermenting pretty nicely before I made the transfer though (down to 1.030 from 1.056).

I am planning to make a starter before pitching the replacement yeast. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice/comments before I go ahead. Thanks.

Personally, I would just try a diacetyl rest to see if the yeast will wake up, then go to lagering phase. But, how long total has it been since you pitched the yeast?

What's a diacetyl rest? It's been about 3 weeks, give or take a few days.

Well, usually a diacetyl rest is done when fermentation reaches approximately 3/4 of terminal gravity, however there are a number of things wrong with this batch, instead of me trying to explain it all, maybe you should read chapter 10 of how to brew, it will explain it all, and I'm sure better than I. http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10.html

Brew on my friend:mug:

Back