DC Area Group Buy #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back from VT and CT; caught up on all PM's and requests for the list. Went to Hill Farmstead while up that way...what a perfect place for a brewery! Looks like he is tripling the size of the brewery too! Highly recommend a beer-cation to VT if you ever get a chance! I went to a bar that had 4 HF brews on tap, 2 Lawson's Finests, Heady, and about 10 other world class beers PLUS awesome food. People are really friendly and the beers you find in local groceries and gas stations top most bottle shops I have been in! Now where did I put that growler of Everett...

Age of hops is my guess. Two year old hops would lose about 20-30% AA from original, at least.

Agreed. I have used that hop schedule on the last couple of AB clones and I don't think I could get closer on the hop schedule than this! I recently did a ZD clone with year old hops and had a similar issue with lackluster hop character. Think I am going to stop stocking up on hops as I don't want to brew 10 gallons and be disappointed! One thing that does work well though it to dry hop, so if you keg you can always revive lackluster hop flavor/aroma. If you bottle, you are kinda screwed though...

Just had an all Chinook IPA. Thought it would be horrible as Chinook can have rough edges, but it was fantastic! It is called Sap by Tree House Brewing. Gonna have to try to clone it as I could drink it all day!

What has been read cannot be unread!

So now I need to try this Arrogant Bastard everyone is talking about.

Please sign me up for 5lbs of the CaraAroma split.

Added.
You won't be disappointed, and the color is roundout gorgeous.

Agreed. I have used that hop schedule on the last couple of AB clones and I don't think I could get closer on the hop schedule than this! I recently did a ZD clone with year old hops and had a similar issue with lackluster hop character. Think I am going to stop stocking up on hops as I don't want to brew 10 gallons and be disappointed! One thing that does work well though it to dry hop, so if you keg you can always revive lackluster hop flavor/aroma. If you bottle, you are kinda screwed though...

Just had an all Chinook IPA. Thought it would be horrible as Chinook can have rough edges, but it was fantastic! It is called Sap by Tree House Brewing. Gonna have to try to clone it as I could drink it all day!

I have the feeling the hops were either older than 2012 (no date was given on the website or printed on the label), were just not a potent crop as hoped for, may have been stored improperly at the source, have a lot less %αA (and %βA) than printed on the label.

For comparison, the Centennial I used in Two Hearted is from the same shipment and is wonderful judging from an SG sample a few days ago. I had added 28% more hops to all additions to counteract possible age, and I may now have a 2.3-Hearted, but the more Centennial the merrier, IMO.

Speaking of Two Hearted, it's an excellent base recipe for an IPA and makes the hops shine. WY1272 really brings out a nice fruitiness which goes well with many hops.

Soon I'll brew a batch of AB again, and in the mean time give the keg a little bit of a dry hop to boost aroma. I'm not saying the hops are totally lost, there's a pronounced bitterness, just not 80+ IBUs, and aroma and flavor are nowhere near AB. Right now it tastes more like a really good dark amber, and for some reason half of the keg has gone missing already. :drunk:

did we ever guess when this would be done? ill need some munich...but im using it mid september.... thoughts? anyone have 15 lbs munich to lend me?

do i look like my recepies are that specific? how about... normal Munich? (you need to try this baltic porter... so good!)

Normal Munich is usually the darker one, Munich II (Weyermann). You need to bring me some of dat baltic porter then! After all you come by my house all the time to play that silly ice game of yours. :D:D

I am starting a new split.

20# WEY1005 Weyermann® Pale Wheat

Thank You!

Added.

I'll take 10# of german_hb's pale wheat split. If we need more to close it out later, I can probably take more.

Added.

I'll open a split on this. I'll take 20 lbs.

CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

Added.

I'll take 25 lbs of that Marris otter split

Added.
10# left on this.

I'll take the last #10 of
CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

Also, I don't think I need the CaraAroma any more, so I'll back out of that split. Sorry!

Thanks,
Josh

Is anyone interested in more of the nice buckets for holding their grain? I'd like to get some of these out of my garage in advance of the next group buy. I have about 10 of the 5gal and a little over 24 of the 3.5 gal. I'll be getting more 2gal ones soon as well. I'm in Monrovia so if you'd like to stop by and pick up a few just PM me to arrange a time.

Also I have about a dozen of these units to make yourself a real nice stir plate. I got tired of dealing with packing and shipping so if you are local and would like to pick up for yourself and or a friend PM me as well. All you would need is some magnets. Please don't post a reply to this thread or the one below just PM me.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/primo-stir-plate-made-easy-237794/

so if you are local and would like to pick up for yourself and or a friend PM me as well.
if anyone is willing to bring back a stir plate kit for me - perhaps to the next group buy splitting extravaganza, i'll be there - i'll be your friend :mug:

i'd love a new stir plate, but making it up to Monrovia is tough these days.

Is anyone interested in more of the nice buckets for holding their grain? I'd like to get some of these out of my garage in advance of the next group buy. I have about 10 of the 5gal and a little over 24 of the 3.5 gal. I'll be getting more 2gal ones soon as well. I'm in Monrovia so if you'd like to stop by and pick up a few just PM me to arrange a time.

Also I have about a dozen of these units to make yourself a real nice stir plate. I got tired of dealing with packing and shipping so if you are local and would like to pick up for yourself and or a friend PM me as well. All you would need is some magnets. Please don't post a reply to the thread below just PM me.

Looks like I have to stop by some day :)

Also I have about a dozen of these units to make yourself a real nice stir plate. I got tired of dealing with packing and shipping so if you are local and would like to pick up for yourself and or a friend PM me as well. All you would need is some magnets. Please don't post a reply to this thread or the one below just PM me.

DO NOT BE TRICKED into going to this man's house!!! He will give you awesome homebrew and then load you up with FREE buckets that are awesome for homebrewing AND may even give you one of the best stir plates money CAN'T buy, AND he is a great guy to chill with. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! :):):):)

SIM1002 Simpsons Golden Promise 25 kg (55 lb)
ill take 20 lbs of the light munich
and i would like to start a split with me getting 10 lbs.
WEY1019 Weyermann® Melanoidin 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

SIM1002 Simpsons Golden Promise 25 kg (55 lb)
ill take 20 lbs of the light munich
and i would like to start a split with me getting 10 lbs.
WEY1019 Weyermann® Melanoidin 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

All added.

245# of grains, over 9 varieties, yet to be split.

Add 15 lbs of the Melanoidin malt to my order. Anyone know the technical differences between melanoidin and carapils? I use both for head retention...

Add 15 lbs of the Melanoidin malt to my order. Anyone know the technical differences between melanoidin and carapils? I use both for head retention...

Added.

The difference is in aroma and flavor. Carapils has virtually none. Melanoiden malt is like all the flavor of a decoction mashed Munich concentrated in one grain.

Stefin would know, it's his idea.

Catapults adds sweetness and body. Melanoiden adds bready yummy ness like deco tigons...but easier. I put it in all my Scottish beers

Any idea when we are looking at this buy being avail to pickup? Trying to plan out schedule.

Thanks,
Carlos

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back