DC Area Group Buy #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got you down for the sack of 2-row, but the CaraAroma was filled already. I can spare 5 pounds of my current 10.

Thanks for getting my grains on the list. I don't want to take half of your CA...I appreciate the offer. Maybe we can wait until it gets closer and see if another split opens up?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for getting my grains on the list. I don't want to take half of your CA...I appreciate the offer. Maybe we can wait until it gets closer and see if another split opens up?

Or we could open a second split, which if you grab 10#, I will grab another 5#...

Your call.

So let's do it! That would give me a total of 15#, which is what I wanted (gonna try it in a Dubbel). Now others can hop in some too for those Arrogant Bastard clones. That other split went in less than a day.

So let's do it! That would give me a total of 15#, which is what I wanted (gonna try it in a Dubbel). Now others can hop in some too for those Arrogant Bastard clones. That other split went in less than a day.

IslandLizzard....if you need to put the split under someone's name you can put it in my name.

All - I may be a bit slow answering PM's the next month or so, so please be patient. I will get to them as soon as I can. You know the deal...

Cheers!
Tony

I'll take a full sack of this:

WEY1010 -- Weyermann® Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

See y'all in a month.

Anyone need Vienna?

I'd like to start a new split. I'll take

15# WEY1016 Weyermann® Vienna 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Thanks!

Can I cancel my #5 of the Crisp Pale Chocolate 25 kg (55 lb) CRI1061 split, and add

5# WEY1063 Weyermann® CaraAroma® 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Thanks!

I'll take 5lb of the Cara aroma if still available.

Can anyone share the AB clone recipe?

Can I cancel my #5 of the Crisp Pale Chocolate 25 kg (55 lb) CRI1061 split, and add

5# WEY1063 Weyermann® CaraAroma® 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Thanks!

Sure, done!

Added.

Here's Redds current recipe in the CYBI thread.

However, I ran into a problem after brewing it a few weeks ago. The Chinook is almost non-existent in mine. Malt is good, but bitterness is lowish, and no hop flavor or aroma to speak of. Someone should take a good look at the listed hop quantities, maybe there's an error. I scaled mine to a 5.5 gallon batch, and it looked fine in Beersmith. The boil smelled fine. Maybe my hops are just not up to par :( very strange.

Here's the other recipe that I've made twice. I think the recipe has been altered since I used it last. I was using 2 row, special B and carapils along with the chinook hops schedule. I never saw the other grains mentioned. I'll be adding 10% cararoma to the next try as Redskinsfan has suggested. This makes a really good beer but it's not a great clone yet. :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/arrogant-bastard-clone-71867/

Tony would like to get in on this buy if you or someone else close to Frederick can pick up for me.

As long as you're willing to do the splitting :tank:, sure, we'll put them on for you. ==> Added.

Weren't you at our last Rice-hulk-of-the-year party?

I was! And I realized that I should use rice hulls more often as I do get partially stuck mashes. I will certainly help split it!

Here's the other recipe that I've made twice. I think the recipe has been altered since I used it last. I was using 2 row, special B and carapils along with the chinook hops schedule. I never saw the other grains mentioned. I'll be adding 10% cararoma to the next try as Redskinsfan has suggested. This makes a really good beer but it's not a great clone yet. :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/arrogant-bastard-clone-71867/

Oh, I'm sure that beer is good but it won't be an accurate clone with that malt bill. It's supposed to be a SMaSH. In the CYBI post I mentioned, reddskinnfan has gotten very close by dropping all specialty malts and just using 13.5% CaraAroma. I tried it with 12% in an effort to bring the color closer, but I find it a bit lacking at that level, so back to 13-13.5%. Besides, we yet have to be able to taste color.

Special B adds a raisin flavor, that isn't in the original. And although they'll make the beer nice and malty, those biscuit malts don't belong in there either.

It is possible Stone uses a custom kilned malt in the 135L range. They're not telling us everything. :mug:

I was! And I realized that I should use rice hulls more often as I do get partially stuck mashes. I will certainly help split it!

It took 3 guys and nearly an hour to split those 2 bales, and they got a workout!

The hulls really help in sticky mashes that contain lots of wheat, rye, oats, pumpkin, etc. I put them in the mash from the beginning, but I heard others only add them right before they lauter. Not sure why.

It took 3 guys and nearly an hour to split those 2 bales, and they got a workout!

The hulls really help in sticky mashes that contain lots of wheat, rye, oats, pumpkin, etc. I put them in the mash from the beginning, but I heard others only add them right before they lauter. Not sure why.

Talking about the rice hulls - I found my shades in my bag of rice hulls! What are the odds.... :mug:

Please add the following for me from the appropriate splits.

Crisp Brown 10 lbs
Crisp Pale Chocolate 5 lbs
Weyermann CaraAroma 5 lbs

Sure, done!

Added.

Here's Redds current recipe in the CYBI thread.

However, I ran into a problem after brewing it a few weeks ago. The Chinook is almost non-existent in mine. Malt is good, but bitterness is lowish, and no hop flavor or aroma to speak of. Someone should take a good look at the listed hop quantities, maybe there's an error. I scaled mine to a 5.5 gallon batch, and it looked fine in Beersmith. The boil smelled fine. Maybe my hops are just not up to par :( very strange.

My hops were almost spot on, just slightly less bitter. Aroma and hop flavor slightly subdued. Again, I attribute to lack of gypsum in mine. I, also, do a helluva vigorous boil and use a hop spider.

My hops were almost spot on, just slightly less bitter. Aroma and hop flavor slightly subdued. Again, I attribute to lack of gypsum in mine. I, also, do a helluva vigorous boil and use a hop spider.

Also, how old were hops?

I had two different AA hops, too. Did you remember to scale for that?

Also, how old were hops?

I had two different AA hops, too. Did you remember to scale for that?

My Chinook was bought early last year from HopsDirect, and I expect them to be 2012 crop, but no way to tell exactly, there's no date on it :(.

Since I've had them they've always been deep frozen (-4°F - 4°F) in original mylar bag, once used, rolled tight and taped without excess air. I've used them in other recipes, but nothing critical that would show up as lackluster. They smelled very fragrant in package and the boil, like, oh yeah! No baskets, free swimming in kettle with a heavy duty filter on the bulkhead. Good rolling boil. Aroma addition had a 1/2 hour hop stand 212 => 190. It took a good half hour to get all the wort chilled to 70°F and into fermentor (single pass, mostly).

I did "scale" for the bittering portion of hops, which turned out to be the same as yours, but not for the 20 min and later additions. I actually added 10% to all hop quantities to compensate for hop age, not reflected in the listed amounts. All pellets @ 14.2 %AA.

Your 10.5 gallon batch:
1.5 Chinook (14.3%) - FWH
1.5 Chinook (14.3%) - 90
1.0 Chinook (14.3%) - 20
.50 oz Chinook (9.8%) - 15
.50 oz Chinook (9.8%) - 10
.50 oz Chinook (9.8%) - 5
.50 oz Chinook (9.8%) - 0

My 5.5 gallon batch (as expected, amounts are half of yours):
.75 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 36.7 IBUs
.75 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 6 33.4 IBUs
.50 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 12.6 IBUs
.25 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 5.2 IBUs
.25 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 3.8 IBUs
.25 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.1 IBUs
.25 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
Total IBUs 93.7

There is NO way this is 93 IBU, something is off. Maybe it IS the hops... mislabeled or older than 2012 perhaps? In the past HD was not very good with their crop declaration on the labels, as in "totally missing." The last order I got from them finally had the year (2013) on them.

My Chinook was bought early last year from HopsDirect, and I expect them to be 2012 crop, but no way to tell exactly, there's no date on it :(.

Since I've had them they've always been deep frozen (-4°F - 4°F) in original mylar bag, once used, rolled tight and taped without excess air. I've used them in other recipes, but nothing critical that would show up as lackluster. They smelled very fragrant in package and the boil, like, oh yeah! No baskets, free swimming in kettle with a heavy duty filter on the bulkhead. Good rolling boil. Aroma addition had a 1/2 hour hop stand 212 => 190. It took a good half hour to get all the wort chilled to 70°F and into fermentor (single pass, mostly).

I did "scale" for the bittering portion of hops, which turned out to be the same as yours, but not for the 20 min and later additions. I actually added 10% to all hop quantities to compensate for hop age, not reflected in the listed amounts. All pellets @ 14.2 %AA.

Your 10.5 gallon batch:
1.5 Chinook (14.3%) - FWH
1.5 Chinook (14.3%) - 90
1.0 Chinook (14.3%) - 20
.50 oz Chinook (9.8%) - 15
.50 oz Chinook (9.8%) - 10
.50 oz Chinook (9.8%) - 5
.50 oz Chinook (9.8%) - 0

My 5.5 gallon batch (as expected, amounts are half of yours):
.75 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 36.7 IBUs
.75 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 6 33.4 IBUs
.50 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 12.6 IBUs
.25 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 5.2 IBUs
.25 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 3.8 IBUs
.25 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.1 IBUs
.25 oz Chinook [14.20 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
Total IBUs 93.7

There is NO way this is 93 IBU, something is off. Maybe it IS the hops... mislabeled or older than 2012 perhaps? In the past HD was not very good with their crop declaration on the labels, as in "totally missing." The last order I got from them had the year (2013) on them.

Age of hops is my guess. Two year old hops would lose about 20-30% AA from original, at least.

Right on. I am transitioning from my wheat season to my pumpkin season! LOL. I am convinced that rice hulls are the answer. I am scheduling out the next few months so depending on other takers I might increase my split. I will be watching the forum!

What has been read cannot be unread!

So now I need to try this Arrogant Bastard everyone is talking about.

Please sign me up for 5lbs of the CaraAroma split.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back