DC Area Group Buy #11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I will stick with the Crisp then, can you make mine the Crisp Finest then. You all can keep the 50 cents for all your hard work.

As anticipated... no substitute needed. Please refund.

Thank you!

None of the splits are affected with these absences. :rockin:

But these buyers have one or more whole sacks of these on order: :(

burning_ties:
Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner

DrunkleJon:

German_HB_Baltimore:
Patagonia Extra Pale Malt

reddskinnfan:

xcdarrel17

So let us know ASAP if you want to substitute.

OK, I sent the changes in and will let you know what I hear back from him. Thanks to all for being flexible. This was actually the first time we have ever had up front notice of shortages, which may be a good sign that they have their act together with inventory (finally!). I also was told that the Gleneagles and Floor Malted would be in stock again in a couple of weeks (misses our deadline) and that they "have no ETA on the Patagonia"... They are out of stock on Weyermann Pilsner, but they expect that to arrive on 5 FEB so we should get our full order on that. Fingers crossed we will get everything that is now on order...Cheers!

OK, I sent the changes in and will let you know what I hear back from him. Thanks to all for being flexible. This was actually the first time we have ever had up front notice of shortages, which may be a good sign that they have their act together with inventory (finally!). I also was told that the Gleneagles and Floor Malted would be in stock again in a couple of weeks (misses our deadline) and that they "have no ETA on the Patagonia"... They are out of stock on Weyermann Pilsner, but they expect that to arrive on 5 FEB so we should get our full order on that. Fingers crossed we will get everything that is now on order...Cheers!

Thanks, as always, for coordinating this Tony/Frits. Bang up job, as usual.

Apparently they are resealable, as well.

I just ordered the Hoptopper (Heady), Pacman and Ghost Saison strains.

Yes I have used hoptopper and even have some if you want to make a starter I washed it from my last batch, I also used pacman in a porter. I would recommend both very nice.

FYI,
I do have a load of buckets if someone can stop by and pick them up. So far I have 17 of the 3.5gal buckets(holds 20lbs) and 7 of the 5 gal buckets (holds maybe 35 to 40lbs?). Just to give you an idea of how much room in your car is needed I have a Honda Accord and it filled my trunk and one row across the back seat. I can get more this week but I'm unable to be there and deliver them this time.

FYI,
I do have a load of buckets if someone can stop by and pick them up. So far I have 17 of the 3.5gal buckets(holds 20lbs) and 7 of the 5 gal buckets (holds maybe 35 to 40lbs?). Just to give you an idea of how much room in your car is needed I have a Honda Accord and it filled my trunk and one row across the back seat. I can get more this week but I'm unable to be there and deliver them this time.

Sorry you can't join the party this time. You'll be missed, mostly for your great company and handling a major portion of the splits.

For the bucket brigade, it would be really awesome if a buy participant from your area could drive them down.

On a side note, I've recently started to use some of your 3.5 gallon buckets as fermentors for 2.5 gallon batches. Now for all the work it takes to do 2.5 gallon you can brew 5 or 10 gallons in pretty much the same time and with not much more effort, but it's nice to do some smaller scale test brews or split a larger batch and use different yeasts or adjuncts.

I'm gonna swing by and pick up a bunch of homer pails to store this stuff in.

Question, are the gamma lid really worth it for keeping a good seal and the grain fresh?

FYI,

Keith,

I could pick them up Thursday. If I can't male it tp the buy for some reason, Al could bring them (if that's cool with him, too).

I'm gonna swing by and pick up a bunch of homer pails to store this stuff in.

Question, are the gamma lid really worth it for keeping a good seal and the grain fresh?

I just use the black snap-on lids. The close up nice and keep nasties out, and that's enough for me.

I just use the black snap-on lids. The close up nice and keep nasties out, and that's enough for me.

I'm guess mostly I'm just worried about storing them in my basement. It can be a bit damp down there (baltimore row home). We normally run a dehumidifier all summer.

I'm guess mostly I'm just worried about storing them in my basement. It can be a bit damp down there (baltimore row home). We normally run a dehumidifier all summer.

I have an old house from 1902... basement is old brick with lime mortar. Lots of moisture down there...

I keep a dehumidifier running all year long. I also use HD buckets for my base grain, with the black lids.

Don't have any moisture issues.

Grain gets used pretty quick though, since most of my batches use at least 20# of base (a bag every two batches).

I use buckets from Bigbeavk for my specialty malts, since they sit a bit longer and those seal nicely.

I've broken a ton of those orange lids. The black ones are better in that regard.

I have a batch of sauerkraut going in one of the 3.5 gal buckets. It's perfect!

I could pick up some of the buckets from bigbeavk, but I don't think they'd all fit in my tiny hatchback. If reddskinnfan can't get them, I'll at least get what I can.

FYI,

Where do you get all the buckets?

On a side note, I've recently started to use some of your 3.5 gallon buckets as fermentors for 2.5 gallon batches. Now for all the work it takes to do 2.5 gallon you can brew 5 or 10 gallons in pretty much the same time and with not much more effort, but it's nice to do some smaller scale test brews or split a larger batch and use different yeasts or adjuncts

That's what I'm thinking, it would be fun to compare different yeasts on an identical wort.

If there are extra buckets to spare.

UPDATE:
Everything we ordered came in already except 3 sacks each of Weyermann Vienna & Light Munich. They never informed us those were out of stock, so we will order them again today along with the 4 Crisp Finest Maris Otter & 1 Weyermann Bohemian Pils. Even though we got word back to 3 Stars in a few hours, we missed their order going out by 30 minutes or so as they had things for the store and brewery that had to get ordered. As soon as I hear back from 3 Stars, I will post here. Don't panic, please...

That reminds me, I think I need to do one refund...will get on that now. Cheers!
<EDIT> Refunded Patagonia Pale...sorry it took so long! </EDIT>

UPDATE:
Everything we ordered came in already except 3 sacks each of Weyermann Vienna & Light Munich. They never informed us those were out of stock, so we will order them again today along with the 4 Crisp Finest Maris Otter & 1 Weyermann Bohemian Pils. Even though we got word back to 3 Stars in a few hours, we missed their order going out by 30 minutes or so as they had things for the store and brewery that had to get ordered. As soon as I hear back from 3 Stars, I will post here. Don't panic, please...

That reminds me, I think I need to do one refund...will get on that now. Cheers!
<EDIT> Refunded Patagonia Pale...sorry it took so long! </EDIT>

I've been thinking about our time projection since day 1. We may have to leave 3 weeks between ordering and pickup. And all splits must be paid a week before ordering. For "regulars" we could make an exception.

As suspected, BSG is still on CIS (Clipboard Inventory System).

Can 3 Stars amend their order to add those sacks in?

If you pick those buckets up from Keith next week, don't unload them all, leave some in your car.

I am picking up from Keith this week. Already talked with him. The 17 x 3.5 gallon buckets are up for grabs (or more if he can get them). The 5 gallon ones are already spoken for.

I am picking up from Keith this week. Already talked with him. The 17 x 3.5 gallon buckets are up for grabs (or more if he can get them). The 5 gallon ones are already spoken for.

Ah, thank you, was hoping for someone in Keith's area to step forward. :rockin:

I want to ask you for a favor while you're at Keith's. I'll pm you about that.

Where do you get all the buckets?

I work at a biotech firm and they make buffer solutions etc. All of the Sodium Chloride(Salt) Glucose(Sugar) and stuff comes in these buckets. All of the powder is in sealed plastic bags so the buckets normally get pitched into the recycle dumpster. Usually they go through 25 buckets a week depending on their schedule so I just pass the guys a few beers and they let me know when to pick up the buckets before they hit the dumpster. :D

Here's my 3.5 gallon bucket fermentor, thanks to Keith's ample supply. :rockin:

I drilled a 1 1/8" hole in the middle with a hole saw, removed the burrs with a razor blade then sanded the hole slightly larger and smooth with fine sandpaper. Fits the standard carboy airlock stopper perfectly. I did remove the rubber o-ring from the lid for fear of sanitation problems. Just slide a butter knife along the inside for a few inches and it will pop out.

2.5 gallons of a modified Pauwel Kwak clone inside. WY1762.

3.5-Gallon-Bucket-Fermentor_1200.jpg

Back