Dark Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsrc11

Reaction score
I made my first batch a few days ago it's a Hefe extract kit I bought from northern brewers. It's been about 4 days in the fermenter now and I noticed it has a browns ish chocolate color but it's suppose to be a lighter golden color will the color lighten up a bit as it ferments or is it suppose to be this color.

image-2152863907.jpg

image-4266895380.jpg

image-634227225.jpg

image-2884562248.jpg

It will lighten up. When most of the solids settle you'll notice a great difference, but LME tends to be a little darker than expected. This is a dunkel though so why worry, as long as it tastes good when finished.

It's not a dunkel but it sure looks like one. LOL I had an amazing Sierra Navada kellerwizen and I'm trying to work my way up to making it anyone who hasn't tried it pleas do it's great. If anyone has a clone recipe pleas share

When did you add the extract? At the beginning of the boil? Did you remove the brewpot from the heat before you added it?

Sorry, I thought from the title line (Dark Hefe) that this was a dunkel. Doesn't matter though, as long as it tastes good. If you're not taking it to a competition why worry if the color isn't specifically to style?:tank:

Ya dud your right thanks man as long as it tastes good. I remember when I got the kit the LME was pretty dark to begin with I did remove it from the heat when I added the LME it had a DME also maybe that's why

It will be darker, but not as dark as the fermenter suggests, it's the LME. It will still taste great though.

Back