Dark fruit flavours/ american ale strain??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
so im looking to brew a bock. im aiming for something like anchor bock which is bursting with dark fruit flavours like plum raison and fig. im surprised that things like pale malt, munich, dark crystal and chocolate (which are listed on the website) along with cal V yeast from white labs would give me these flavours. i thought it would be more porter like. how can i be sure i get these dark fruit flavours with these grains and this yeast. i thought a belgian strain would give these flavours not an american ale strain?

ye i was thinking of subbing the crystal for special b and see how that works, i still cant get my head around how it makes dark fruit flavours with that yeast. i usually associate them flavours with belgian yeast strains not malts

You want a clean strain or anything bock-like. Crystals 80L or darker will give plenty of dark fruit, especially supported by a -large- quantity of dark munich malt. I particularly like CaraAroma as a dark crystal for dark lagers.

Back