Dark clumps in my magic hat #9 clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchwfsu

Reaction score
I've had a magic hat #9 clone bottle conditioning for about a week now. Used beersmith to carb to 2.4 vols. today I noticed dark clumps when I agitated a bottle. Could be hop matter and trub but looks funny. Any thoughts?

PS new home brewer, first post, thanks for all the help! Mitch

image-1198923048.jpg

image-1249313533.jpg

Looks like regular ol' sediment to me. It might just look black because it's too opaque for the light to get through (oh, and make sure that light doesn't use a UV bulb. I recently heard a horror story about a guy who kept his carboy in the same room as his wife's tanning bed - YIKES!). Do you use a secondary, or primary only? What were your adjuncts?

AND...most important of all...does it affect the taste?

Oh thanks I hope it's just normal sediment. No adjuncts. Just maris, crystal 20, cascade and Columbus. Added the apricot into the bottling bucket. I don't know. It's only my 2nd brew and I was planning on tasting next weekend after 2 week conditioning. Same with a wheat beer shock top clone that's been conditioning the same amount of time. The wheat beer looks cloudy like a wheat should. Mitch.

Anything besides Holy Four - Water, Malts, Hops, and Yeast - is an adjunct. I'm not sure how apricot would act when added to the secondary (which is when I would have added it), so that could be the issue, but I don't think so.

Did you lay your bottles down on their side when conditioning them? If you left them standing upright while conditioning, then I doubt those dark spots are sediment. The most likely suspect might simply be a dirty bottle. If this is the case, it all comes down to taste. If it was a dirty bottle, it will come through in the taste. I would crack one of those bad-boys open right now and give it a try. Truth be told, I have yet to allow my beer to fully condition. Self control? Overrated.

Oh thanks I hope it's just normal sediment. No adjuncts. Just maris, crystal 20, cascade and Columbus. Added the apricot into the bottling bucket. I don't know. It's only my 2nd brew and I was planning on tasting next weekend after 2 week conditioning. Same with a wheat beer shock top clone that's been conditioning the same amount of time. The wheat beer looks cloudy like a wheat should. Mitch.

Just an fyi...Magic Hat uses (or used to use) crystal 80: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-magic-hat-number-9-a-175571/

Did you lay your bottles down on their side when conditioning them?

Yes actually some were on their side. I crammed them all in a large cooler so to contain a bottle bomb if one happened. First time brewing and bottling so I just wasn't sure what to expect.

I would crack one of those bad-boys open right now and give it a try. Truth be told, I have yet to allow my beer to fully condition. Self control? Overrated.

I'll throw some in the fridge tonight and taste tomorrow. Thanks!

Can't wait to hear how she turned out! Magic Hat isn't my favorite beer, but I have friends who worship it. If it's tasty, post the recipe so I can brew it!

I'm not a #9 fan either but my brother in law and friends are so i really made it for others. Put one in the fridge yesterday and opened it tonight. About 1/3 slowly foamed out, not a gusher though, but not preferable lol. Tasted similar to #9 but probably needs some more bottle time from what I've read.

Oh and my wheat beer, I forgot to grind the coriander. Ill let you know how that turns out.

I over-carbonated my 1st batch also. Opening it and letting it sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, and it'll be fine.

I'd imagine that for it to be a true Magic Hat clone, I'd imagine it would take a month of conditioning in the bottle so that the flavors can mellow. I just tried a Witbier I bottled 2 1/2 weeks ago, and the coriander flavor - which I didn't really care for - is finally starting to mellow out. Set aside a 12'er of it, and try it in 3 weeks. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :) Again, this requires self-control, so good luck.

I don't mind letting it sit for another few weeks. I also have a wheat or wit beer (shock top clone) bottled for 2 weeks and a couple session IPAs for about a week. Ill try the wheat this weekend.

Back