Dank Resiny Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on high AA hops for a single flavor/aroma hop in a black IPA. I’m looking for that dank resiny flavor profile to try for next time. I generally use 1/2 of Warrior for bittering and about a pound of hops for the flavor, aroma, whirlpool, and dry hop and would prefer to buy in bulk. I suppose I’d also consider 2 hops that meld nicely buying 1/2 lb of each. Recommendations?

It's not a high alpha acid hop, but I've always found Medusa to be pretty dank. Since I first tried it a few years ago, it's been my goto dank hop to balance the fruity ones.

It's not a high alpha acid hop, but I've always found Medusa to be pretty dank. Since I first tried it a few years ago, it's been my goto dank hop to balance the fruity ones.

I searched for that on MoreBeer but they obviously don’t carry that hop. Same with Austin Homebrew Supply.

Out of curiosity what are the typical AAs? I figure anything 10 and up is high enough to be high.

I searched for that on MoreBeer but they obviously don’t carry that hop. Same with Austin Homebrew Supply.

Out of curiosity what are the typical AAs? I figure anything 10 and up is high enough to be high.

I've been getting my Medusa hops from Yakima Valley Hops. They released the 2018 crop not too long ago so if you search their site, should be easy to find. Not sure who else carries it.

This year's crop came in at about 4.8% AA so like I said, not exactly high alpha acid if you are looking to use it for bittering as well. I've only used it for flavor and aroma (~15 min to flameout to dry hopping) and get more dank than I do any of the other descriptors attributed to it.

I've been getting my Medusa hops from Yakima Valley Hops. They released the 2018 crop not too long ago so if you search their site, should be easy to find. Not sure who else carries it.

This year's crop came in at about 4.8% AA so like I said, not exactly high alpha acid if you are looking to use it for bittering as well. I've only used it for flavor and aroma (~15 min to flameout to dry hopping) and get more dank than I do any of the other descriptors attributed to it.

4.8% is quite low. I’d need quite a bit more for an IPA as I generally shoot for the far end of the IBU threshold (and typically surpass it).

I’m curious what styles of beer you use this in.

Columbus, Eureka!, Apollo, Summit... maybe some other AUS/NZ varieties, but have not used manby of those.

If you want pine resin, look for a hop that is high in beta-Pinene, such as Centennial. According to the oil composition breakdowns found online, Centennial has around 1% beta-Pinene whereas Chinook is half that. Also, use the hopslist site to look for resiny hops.

+1 on Columbus/Chinook. I know they're basically the same hop, but I get better results with Chinook pellets. Very dank, piney, with an underlying citrus.

Experimental 07270. Alpha in the mid-teens and holy moly the resiny dankness.. .. little bit of restrained citrus in there but if you want that hint of weed in your beer this will do it...

Did an experiment with Chinook with two other hops in the mix that I do not remember right now regarding maxing out pine/resin aroma.

First additions @ 30 min, followed by 10 min and flame out additions. I bottled two beer before dry hopping to find out wether or not dry hopping contributes to piney flavors. Both beer are still carbonating but the first samples tasted like dry hopping would contribute exactly nothing to the piney flavour.

Next time I will skip the dry hopping and increase the last two additions instead, if the carbonated beer proves my first prediction right.

Back