Dank IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geisman

Reaction score
First time posting a recipe on the site. I always see good advice so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm trying to create a dank hazy ipa. What I'm worried about is my 10 minute additions.

Batch size 10.5 gallons
O.G. 1.063
F.G 1.011
mash temp 148 for 75 min.
IBU 63

Grain bill
21lbs Maris Otter
2lbs White Wheat malt
1lbs Flaked oats
1lbs Cara-pils

.75oz Apollo 60 min

2 oz citra 10min
2 oz mosaic 10 min
1 oz Columbus 10 min
.5 Apollo 10min

3 oz citra 0 min
3 oz mosaic 0 min
2 oz Columbus 0 min

dry hop
4 oz citra
4 oz mosaic
3 oz Columbus
each split half during primary half secondary

yeast London Ale Yeast

Cant decide if I should almost everything to flameout whirlpool.

Any critique would be much appreciated!

-I would swap the columbus and citra for more dankness.
-Forget secondary unless you just want to play with that. Dry hopping in secondary runs greater risk of oxidation.
-Add first half dry hop after active fermentation (~3-4 days), and start ramping up to 70F 1 degree per day. Add other half when temp reaches 70 and dry hop last half 3-5 days.
-0.25 oz Apollo at 60 min
-0.75 oz Apollo based on IBU readjustments
-since your mashing on the low side possibly go equal Cloride and sulfate water adjustments

Up the flaked oats to 2#. Lose the carapils and use 1# of Munich instead. Mash at 152. Your hop additions look good, giving them 10 minutes in the boil will give you bitterness but short enough to give you flavor and aroma. Only add the IBU contribution for the hops that are being boiled to get your total. Whirlpool/steep at 145 degrees for about 15 - 30 minutes.

Up the flaked oats to 2#. Lose the carapils and use 1# of Munich instead. Mash at 152. Your hop additions look good, giving them 10 minutes in the boil will give you bitterness but short enough to give you flavor and aroma. Only add the IBU contribution for the hops that are being boiled to get your total. Whirlpool/steep at 145 degrees for about 15 - 30 minutes.

I like the Munich idea. I try to use Munich in place of crystal whenever possible. I'm starting to hear Munich is the new crystal--there must be some sort of hive mind amongst brewers...:mug:

Wow....I just switched from crystal to Munich...this is a bit scary.

You're zero minute additions...true flameout or after chilling to 170 or so? That 10 minute addition becomes a 40 minute addition if you're time zero is a true flameout with a 30 minute steep (just something to think about).

Not sure if you're going for NEIPA (it kinda looks like it with the split dry hop, flaked oats, wheat). If so, do your first dry hop just as the primary ferm is slowing down. Do the second about 5 days before you keg/bottle. Don't do a true transfer to a secondary ferm vessel. It'll be fine in the primary and the exposure to O2 is reduced greatly. It can still have condition/cleanup time in the primary vessel.

Finally, don't know if you're kegging or bottling, but there are many who have trouble with oxidation of these IPA's during the bottle condition/carb phase that results in discoloration and off taste.

I like the Munich idea. I try to use Munich in place of crystal whenever possible. I'm starting to hear Munich is the new crystal--there must be some sort of hive mind amongst brewers...:mug:

I hate crystal in IPA's or Pales. I've used it in varying percentages and different colors but never liked what it contributed, so I finally gave up on it. Munich gives off a beautiful color for NE IPA's, I'm going to try using Victory for my west coast style IPA next.

No secondary. It's I a conical. I just wanted to show that some dry hops were going in during the end of active fermentation.

I usually put 0 min in at the end of the boil, turn the chiller on, drop to 170 (takes less then 5 min) and whirlpool for 30 min minimum.

I'll definitely add the Munich and up the oats.

No secondary. It's I a conical. I just wanted to show that some dry hops were going in during the end of active fermentation.

I usually put 0 min in at the end of the boil, turn the chiller on, drop to 170 (takes less then 5 min) and whirlpool for 30 min minimum.

I'll definitely add the Munich and up the oats.

I think you'll be happy with the results.

Anybody have any input as to IBU contributions at 170 degrees? I don't want more.

Anybody have any input as to IBU contributions at 170 degrees? I don't want more.

There wont be any at that temp. Anything below 180 is all favor and aroma! Even at flameout when the temp is right below boiling I don't get the bitterness (personal taste) that's why I don't add the IBU contribution to anything that's not boiled.

Latest posts

Back