Dangers with using a burner inside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantim

Reaction score
I've always boiled on our stove, but I want to move to a burner due to the wear on the stove's surface. I was considering a Darkstar burner based on the cost and reviews on MWS.

1. Is it safe to use inside a kitchen, on the floor? I'd probably put a piece of 3/4" plywood down anyway, just to protect the floor.

2. Is it safe as far as breathing hazard, etc?

I'm a novice brewer, so any advice is very appreciated. Thanks!

I do it because I have no choice, moved into an apt after brewing outside for years. Be very careful with plenty of ventilation and a carbon monoxide detector if you decide to do it.

I do it because I have no choice, moved into an apt after brewing outside for years. Be very careful with plenty of ventilation and a carbon monoxide detector if you decide to do it.

Yeah, that's my issue. Upstairs in an apartment.

Doing it outside would be a huge hassle, and my stove is really starting to suffer.

I just got a Dark Star, works great. Not sure I would use it indoors, though. I brew in my garage with the door open. I would be too worried about CO if I used it inside the house.

I just got a Dark Star, works great. Not sure I would use it indoors, though. I brew in my garage with the door open. I would be too worried about CO if I used it inside the house.

Even with a couple windows open and a fan in one pulling air though? I have a detector, as well that I reckon I'd set up.

Have you considered elec elements in a brew bucket? I would not use propane burners indoors. I use propane but only outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't use a burner inside. In addition to CO concerns, I've seen burners catch on fire where they weren't supposed to. No insurance company is going to pay out if you burn down your apt/house. Please at least have a fire extinguisher on hand.

This in particular is risky. I'd suggest to the OP that you find a way to brew outside if you're using a burner - find a way to cover your setup if necessary. Much less risk of accidentally killing yourself/housemates/pets/etc.

Using an outdoor burner inside an apartment building is a good way to kill yourself and others. Please don't do it.

Considering that one of the major complaints about the Dark Star is how it covers kettles with soot, I would strongly discourage you from doing this. It is extremely dangerous and pretty irresponsible considering you don't even own the dwelling you'd be doing it in. Just suck it up and haul your gear outside. Maybe buy one of those Rubbermaid storage bins and leave your stuff in there outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can someone please explain the difference in combustion by-products put out from a propane kitchen range and a propane burner like a Dark Star?

The propane range in my home is not vented.

I have never seen any other NG or propane range that was vented.

You could make some compromises and make smaller batches.

(Gasping sounds from those that say "go big or go home". Just take deep, slow breaths.)
Can someone please explain the difference in combustion by-products put out from a propane kitchen range and a propane burner?
Of course there is no difference. There might be a problem if the separate burner is much higher BTU than the stove and produce significantly more byproducts, more than the existing air infiltration can manage

Why inside? Do you have a porch or garage? Is it that cold outside?

I brew in my garage right next to the door. I prop the door open with a bucket so it gives good ventilation without letting all the heat out so quickly and close it when the burner is off. I keep a fire extinguisher next to me the whole time too. I dont think I'd be comfortable using a burner in a kitchen or other truly indoors room. Do you have a balcony or porch you could set up on?

Can someone please explain the difference in combustion by-products put out from a propane kitchen range and a propane burner like a Dark Star?

The propane range in my home is not vented.

I have never seen any other NG or propane range that was vented.

Gas stoves have the gas/air mixture tuned for complete combustion (CO2, not CO). I wouldn't count on a $50 propane burner to do the same.

To the OP: please don't do it. Even more especially since you live in an apartment. I see too many apartment fires and CO poisonings on the news every winter. It's not worth the risk to you or your neighbors.

Don't rule out the induction plates! Check that thread, folks have had very good results with them.

Good call on figuring something else out - an option might be (and I know this option kinda sucks) but how about making smaller batches? Less weight on the stove would probably help and you'd still get to brew in your place.

I use propane outside when the weather is nice. But, in the winter; especially THIS winter, :mad: I use a heat stick to supplement my kitchen stove. Works great.

I use propane outside when the weather is nice. But, in the winter; especially THIS winter, :mad: I use a heat stick to supplement my kitchen stove. Works great.

Try this heat stick. Under $40, shipped. That, with your stovetop, should get a 5-gallon full-volume batch to a boil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say to absolutely NOT use a propane burner inside. There are tags on the burner and the propane tank saying to not do it either. (not that many people pay attention to those tags, but still)
There are way too many horror stories I've heard about that sort of thing.
I would say that if you have to brew inside, go with either electric with a heat stick (or build your own based around a hot water tank element) or look into induction burners.
I just read about those the other day and I'm seriously considering going that route if / when I get a space to brew in, if I can't arrange a natural gas setup (complete with exhaust hood directly over it.)

Latest posts

Back