Dandelion Wine - too much k meta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukass

Reaction score
So I just bottled 1.5 gallons of dandelion wine, came in at around 14.5%. I just realized I made the classic 'added way too much k-meta' mistake... added 1/4 tsp to the bottling bucket and stirred it in. So around 6x the normal dosage. It still tastes pretty good, but there's a little sulphite flavor on the back end.

Few questions. Would it be OK to wait it out in the bottle? Will it deteriorate over time, or should I pour them all back into a fermenter for a few extra months? Most importantly, is it still safe to drink? Thanks

So I just bottled 1.5 gallons of dandelion wine, came in at around 14.5%. I just realized I made the classic 'added way too much k-meta' mistake... added 1/4 tsp to the bottling bucket and stirred it in. So around 6x the normal dosage. It still tastes pretty good, but there's a little sulphite flavor on the back end.

Few questions. Would it be OK to wait it out in the bottle? Will it deteriorate over time, or should I pour them all back into a fermenter for a few extra months? Most importantly, is it still safe to drink? Thanks

It's safe to drink. It may be a while before it ages out where you can't taste it though.

You could splash rack (a little, no need to get vigorous) before racking back to the bottling bucket and then proceed with bottling. It should dissipate a lot of that sulfur.

Thanks Yooper. Still kicking myself for even adding it, since I doubt anything would re-ferment in the bottle given the high abv, but I was using my brett gear so I wanted to make sure.

So I'm thinking of pouring the bottles down the side of the bottling bucket, splashing a little on the way. Going to give it a decent stir, and then bottle again. Think that's a good plan? Hopefully that'll drive some of the sulphite out of solution...

It's safe to drink. It may be a while before it ages out where you can't taste it though.

You could splash rack (a little, no need to get vigorous) before racking back to the bottling bucket and then proceed with bottling. It should dissipate a lot of that sulfur.

Actually, I had bottled it already, then realized I added too much Kmeta. I'm planning on pouring them (lightly down the side of the bottling bucket) and giving it a liberal stir in the bucket. Waiting a few minutes, then re-bottling from there. Think that'd help?

Since it's a wine I'm not as worried about oxidation as I would be with beer, but I really wanna salvage this one since it'd make for a great sipper in the fall/winter. Thanks!

Back