American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL... Does that sig look like a "he"?

1 gal batch? Now I'm trying to figure out who's the girl...

JUST KIDDING!!! :D

I'm on my phone and its easy to have a typo, and yeah I don't have room for 5 gallon but some home brew is better than no-brew. But yeah I'm a dude but if yooper was to give me her skills yuall could call me whatever you wan!

I'm scaling this up to 11g to break in my new spiedel.
Going with:
18# 2row
9# Vienna
5# Munich
1# Briess caramel 20
1# Weyermann CaraMunich III

Any opinions or objections?
I like MO, especially in my bipas, but I was trying to keep this closer to 50c a bottle and going w 2row saved me about $10.
Will be pitching heady topper
Warrior bittering, centinial boil and steep additions (have .5# in the freezer) and DH with 1oz EA of zythos and falconers 7Cs
7.5-8.5 depending on if I throw in a lb of dextrose

this will be my first 10g batch, breaking in the new 60l speidel that came in yesterday. about to get the water going. I upped the gravity w beersmith, then rounded off, so the ratio isnt perfect, but we'll see.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 51.4 %
9 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 25.7 %
5 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.9 %
1 lbs caramunich III - 57L (57.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.9 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 19.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconers Seven Seas [9.70 %] - Dry Hop Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 17.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 8.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 4.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 mi Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.55 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9 -
1.0 pkg Vermont IPA Conan (Gigayeast #) Yeast 13 -
1.00 oz Zythos [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 2.9 %

Cracked one of these open a little while ago, not fully carbonated. Turned out great!
This was only my second batch so the efficiency wasn't there to get the ABV where it should be (batch is about 4.5) so, to me, it's a little unbalanced on the hoppy side (plus my Cascades were packaged as 8.9% and I used a half ounce more than called for). That's something easily fixed next time but for now this is still a great looking, very drinkable pale.
Love it!

Mine has been fermenting a week and still has airlock activity. Another week and I will dry hop..thinking citra for that. This will be my fist kegged beer and I am really looking forward to it.

Brewed this recipe again with an addition of flaked wheat to the grain bill for some a better head.

Holy mother of krausen in 6 hours my blow off tube is screamin. I checked it at hour 3 just because, well because it's my beer! And saw krausen reaching the air lock. Luckily I caught it and put on the blow off but I'm afraid to go to bed, got a feeling I might wake up to a krausen cannon, if so I'm a good sport and will post pictures.

Brewed this recipe again with an addition of flaked wheat to the grain bill for some a better head.

Holy mother of krausen in 6 hours my blow off tube is screamin. I checked it at hour 3 just because, well because it's my beer! And saw krausen reaching the air lock. Luckily I caught it and put on the blow off but I'm afraid to go to bed, got a feeling I might wake up to a krausen cannon, if so I'm a good sport and will post pictures.

Wow. That's some quick activity!

I did my the recipe posted above, but came up short on volume. Since upgraded my 12g cooler mash tun to a 30g I scored on Craigslist for $25. No more volume issues now. Anyway, I was happy to get a solid krausen in 10 hours w a 1l starter.

View attachment 1431019957837.jpg

Wait, are those one gal carboys? That might be why. If you pitched a whole pack, u may have over pitched. I have no experience with anything under 5g though... except a few 3g batches of cider

Cracked one of these open a little while ago, not fully carbonated. Turned out great!
This was only my second batch so the efficiency wasn't there to get the ABV where it should be (batch is about 4.5) so, to me, it's a little unbalanced on the hoppy side (plus my Cascades were packaged as 8.9% and I used a half ounce more than called for). That's something easily fixed next time but for now this is still a great looking, very drinkable pale.
Love it!

As it ages, the hop profile will diminish some. If it's only been bottled for a couple weeks, it is at its peak hoppiness.

Wait, are those one gal carboys? That might be why. If you pitched a whole pack, u may have over pitched. I have no experience with anything under 5g though... except a few 3g batches of cider

Yes one gallon and no I use one pack for about 3 batches.

This is one of my favorite recipes. I did a no chill this time around. It was hazy at first but after a week in the keg in the fridge it came out very clear. The head was better but took me awhile to find the camera.

WP_20150427_003.jpg

Sorry for coming so late with a question....

How would you say this differs from a Sierra Nevada pale ale (on the bottle they claim it is a "worldwide classic")?

(I am hoping I get the answer I expect)

Tom

This is one of my favorite recipes. I did a no chill this time around. It was hazy at first but after a week in the keg in the fridge it came out very clear. The head was better but took me awhile to find the camera.

Are you sure that's the right beer? Looks way too light for this recipe. Kinda looks like more like Yooper's yellow fizzy beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Was thinking the same, but mine is still in the fermenter and adjusted for higher gravity. .. it's a beautiful deep gold. Not at all yellow.

No it was the pale ale, haven't tried the fizzy yellow one. I'd take another picture but it is gone now. Dark Mild on tap now

I used exact same grains yooper described and my brew looks nothing like what you posted. I giggled when you posted that, figured it was miller lite and you were trolling. Please don't take offense to that as none was intended.

None taken but now I am wondering why mine is so different from everyone else's. I have a Munich Helles on deck but will probably brew this again after that and see if I get a different result. :confused: Tasted good though

Sorry for coming so late with a question....

How would you say this differs from a Sierra Nevada pale ale (on the bottle they claim it is a "worldwide classic")?

(I am hoping I get the answer I expect)

Tom

The hop flavor is very similar, but I think Yooper's has a bit more malt and is a bit darker.

The first time I made this I had a my wife (a SNPA drinker) do a blind taste test. She could tell they were different, but picked Yooper's as the SNPA.

I have made a few SNPA clones, but alway come back to this beer.
It may not be a "worldwide classic" but it is a classic none-the-less.

None taken but now I am wondering why mine is so different from everyone else's. I have a Munich Helles on deck but will probably brew this again after that and see if I get a different result. :confused: Tasted good though

Bottling a batch of it tomorrow, I'll snap a pic of fermentor and show you what I mean.

yea, I'm definitely shocked at the color too. Taste is what really matters though! It may be that the vienna and munich you used were low SRM, but I would figure that a full pound of crystal would leave any beer darker than that

Went back and looked at my records and seems I brewed a cross between the Bee Cave Haus Pale and the Cascades/Orange Pale recipe on here. :eek:
I used ( for a 2.5 gallon batch )
4.4# MO
.5# Vienna
.5# Crystal 10
I saved it as Yooper's recipe bc I had looked at that one too. Bad monkey!! No banana!!! :mad:

Brewed this again (3rd time) today. Used Apollo to bitter, and used Citra and Zythos hops for the rest. I used a full ounce of Zythos and Citra at flameout and let them sit for about 10 minutes. Not a full 30 - 45 like I would for my IPA's. The wort smelled great. Cant wait to see how this turns out! I used San Diego Super Yeast since I need this ready by Memorial Weekend. I know, its a terrible timeline, but this was super last minute and I already ahd the hops and everything else. Hit my target of 1.056. Not sure how haha.

Oh, and I brewed this while watching my 7 month old son! Wow, what a challenge that was! BIAB to save a few steps and it was a bit rough, but I think I still made beer haha.

Went back and looked at my records and seems I brewed a cross between the Bee Cave Haus Pale and the Cascades/Orange Pale recipe on here. :eek:
I used ( for a 2.5 gallon batch )
4.4# MO
.5# Vienna
.5# Crystal 10
I saved it as Yooper's recipe bc I had looked at that one too. Bad monkey!! No banana!!! :mad:

Yup... That'll do it... Much more reddish in the *real* Yooper's Haus Ale ... You should try brewing up Lorena's recipe. It's really tasty. On my permanent rotation. It's also one of my German friend's favorite beers.

I've done variations with different hops and grains but using this recipe as a guide in terms of IBUs etc. it's a very versatile foundation to experiment from.

The hop flavor is very similar, but I think Yooper's has a bit more malt and is a bit darker.

The first time I made this I had a my wife (a SNPA drinker) do a blind taste test. She could tell they were different, but picked Yooper's as the SNPA.

I have made a few SNPA clones, but alway come back to this beer.
It may not be a "worldwide classic" but it is a classic none-the-less.

Thanks! I have to admit I was very underwhelmed with SNPA. It had the hops but there was little real taste in the beer. I was hoping to find a second good house beer a couple steps above the Centennial Blonde that everyone drinks so much. Something with some more malt taste and some residual taste. I think it is worth a try with the original MO.

Tom

I brewed this up, but adjusted the grains so that I would get an SG of 1.052. I wanted a little lower ABV beer for the summer months. I also changed the hops to match what I have on hand (Centennial and Columbus), and used a slurry pitch of Notty that I had from a previous brew. This one is really good. I think I may have to brew another one soon as this batch will be kicked in no time.

APA.jpg

I never replied back about how my second batch of DY House Pale turned out. It's great!

I used primarily Zythos and Citra with bittering of Apollo. Heavy citrus notes, but after tasting it has a good solid malt backbone that cuts through some of the heavy hops. It's really tasty! We tapped the keg on Memorial weekend and it was a hit. Everyone loved it! I am definitely going to keep making this as a go to Pale Ale. It's a solid recipe and seems rather flexible for any good you have at home. Cheers for an incredible recipe!!

The token pic of a pour that I am enjoying right now:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433383848.172546.jpg

this will be my first 10g batch, breaking in the new 60l speidel that came in yesterday. about to get the water going. I upped the gravity w beersmith, then rounded off, so the ratio isnt perfect, but we'll see.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 51.4 %
9 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 25.7 %
5 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.9 %
1 lbs caramunich III - 57L (57.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.9 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 19.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconers Seven Seas [9.70 %] - Dry Hop Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 17.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 8.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 4.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 mi Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.55 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9 -
1.0 pkg Vermont IPA Conan (Gigayeast #) Yeast 13 -
1.00 oz Zythos [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 2.9 %

So, in my first 10g batch, i quickly realised that i needed a bigger mash tun. That being said, i just cracked the first bottle, about 10 days in the bottle, and its damn good. If i were to do it exactly this way again, i'd drop the 30 minutes addition or add it to the end of boil. I had to add in some dme based wort to get this to atound 9 gallons, so the ibu is higher due to the lower final product...
Already planning a second brew with my new 30g mash tun.
Will add a # of carafoam and probably utilise a different hop witht he afformentioned schedule adjustment

A little confused on the cascade. Beersmith rates cascade at 5.5% (Hopunion quotes 4.5-7.0) but the recipe states 8.0%. Has cascade become 8.0% over the last couple years?

(My cascade came from a brewshop that did not have the alpha listed)

Should we assume that any cascade will be on the high end of the scale?

Is there a listing for the average alpha for each region?

Tom

The cascades I used last week (ordered from AHS - don't remember the brand) were listed at 8.2. Definitely have to adjust the recipe accordingly, especially for the bittering additions.

The cascades I used last week (ordered from AHS - don't remember the brand) were listed at 8.2. Definitely have to adjust the recipe accordingly, especially for the bittering additions.

When I brewed this a couple months ago, the Hopunion Cascades I got were labelled as 8.9%. I wasn't using any brewing software and didn't make any adjustments. Still made for a real nice beer but I would definitely have preferred some more malt balance.

A little confused on the cascade. Beersmith rates cascade at 5.5% (Hopunion quotes 4.5-7.0) but the recipe states 8.0%. Has cascade become 8.0% over the last couple years?

(My cascade came from a brewshop that did not have the alpha listed)

Should we assume that any cascade will be on the high end of the scale?

Is there a listing for the average alpha for each region?

Tom

I'm confused what your question/point is. Hops will always come in at different AA%. Use and adjust accordingly

I'm confused what your question/point is. Hops will always come in at different AA%. Use and adjust accordingly

I see what he is saying, his hops weren't listed with AA% and wants to know what to guesstimate. Call your lbhs and see if they can tell you what the AA% is.

I see what he is saying, his hops weren't listed with AA% and wants to know what to guesstimate. Call your lbhs and see if they can tell you what the AA% is.

That's probably the best way to go.

The other might be to bitter with something whose AA you know, then add the Cascade starting at ten minutes, assuming Cascade at around 8%. Calculate the total to come in at around 45 IBUs.

Changed things ever so slightly on this one but nothing too major. Still very true to the original I think. Thanks again Yooper.

Slight adjustment to the grain bill with acid malt subbed for some MO (<3%). Hopping schedule adjusted to get within style with the AA% of hops. 4 day dry-hopping

OG 1.055 FG 1.012 IBU 42 SRM 9second brew 2.jpg

second brew.jpg

That's probably the best way to go.

The other might be to bitter with something whose AA you know, then add the Cascade starting at ten minutes, assuming Cascade at around 8%. Calculate the total to come in at around 45 IBUs.

Ooo, I understand. Yea, I never bitter with anything other than warrior. Chinook if I want the bite. If you whirlpool with cascade, the imparted IBUs will be easily controllable. I doubt it's anything above 9%

Back