D rest didnt work. Help needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhaff

Reaction score
I haven't had much luck finding the best yeast to use to clean up a lager. I tried my first lager NB tmave10 and now I have a carboy of butter. I am going to try and pitch active fermenting lager yeast in an attempt to clean up. Any suggestion for a good lager yeast to use? I usually use wyeast. Any suggestions? Sorry for the dup request I could not figure out how to edit my question on this app. Thanks.

Figured out editing posts but still need help or suggestions on lager yeast selection. Thanks.

It will be better to use ale yeast to clean up diacetyl. You can make a quart size starter with 1/3 packet of US-05 and just dump it in carboy at high karusen. Then leave it for a week or two at room temperature. I must be underpitching my lagers since 5 out of 6 I brewed this year had problems with diacetyl that needed to be rectified by krausening

I can try that. I guess I will need to rack to another secondary afterwards and lager for another month afterwards. I'm just bummed my first lager is buttertastic.

I can try that. I guess I will need to rack to another secondary afterwards and lager for another month afterwards. I'm just bummed my first lager is buttertastic.

don't let that discourage you. You don't need to rack to another carboy. If you keg you can krausen right in keg. If you bottle just leave it in same carboy. If you lagered this beer already, there is no need or benefit to do it again. May be a crash cool to drop all that yeast after clean up

I used the strao Prague strain (2782) at 54. The temp range is 50-58.

I think my rest occurred too late. The og was only 1.039 so my starter might have fermented quicker than I though. I'll try pitching ale yeast and allow for it to hang out at room temp for two weeks and see. Since this is my first lager I didn't really know when to start the rest. Do you guys do lots of gravity readings to know when you are close? I read 75% is when the d rest should occur. Does that sound right?

Yeah, 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through fermentation seems to do the trick. Probably aim more for 3/4. To be clear, that's 3/4 of the way to the anticipated FG, not to 1.000.

Don't know about others here, but I don't do a lot of gravity readings. More than I would for something I don't need to catch mid-fermentation, but not a lot. Usually once a day after the first few days of active fermentation. Maybe that's a lot to you, I don't know. I do lagers in a bottling bucket so it's easy to take samples. It is easier at a somewhat lower temperature, as the yeast works slower; I try for an ambient of about 48* or so.

Back