Cyser brewed with raisins...concerned about leftover fruit bits.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruin7734

Reaction score
I am working on stabilizing a 7-gal batch, and I've largely ignored it after measuring a FG of .995 (OG 1.167). I finally decided to take a peek at it after a few weeks, and I'm seeing little bits of raisin that I think I missed when racking. I shone a LED light on the floaters and they seemed to have a green hue...these bits seem to be suspended in a hazy layer at the top of my demijon...would it be in my best interest to rack and add campden tabs to stabilize, add clarifying agents, and bottle ASAP?

I would add the clarifying agents before racking.

Thing about white LEDs - they're not white (usually, unless you spend lots of $$$). The illusion of white is achieved with yellow and blue/violet, which makes looking at colors through a tinted fluid WAY off. Yellow mead-water will filter large spreads of blue/violet potentially enhancing any colors closer to yellow (orange and green).

My dark red cranberry ale has a wicked green thing going on in the basement with my cheap "white" LEDs too.

I would add the clarifying agents before racking.

Thing about white LEDs - they're not white (usually, unless you spend lots of $$$). The illusion of white is achieved with yellow and blue/violet, which makes looking at colors through a tinted fluid WAY off. Yellow mead-water will filter large spreads of blue/violet potentially enhancing any colors closer to yellow (orange and green).

My dark red cranberry ale has a wicked green thing going on in the basement with my cheap "white" LEDs too.

Always appreciate when we get the technical explanation on things and not just the "because it is" reason, makes much more sense of things

Thanks for the expertise. I didn't think about the actual color of the LED not being white. I just assumed the different wavelength would make my illuminated view truer.

The old grey matter is easy to con.......

Maybe you can throw you mind back to when pictures were "proper" photographs i.e. an image captured on a plastic type film that was coated with silver hallides and light sensitive dyes ?

Well, pics taken in natural daylight, would usually come out with the correct "colour balance" (daylight has a colour temperature of 5400K), yet you could easily take a picture under normal light bulbs, only to find that the picture would have an orange cast, yet you recall the scene as looking normal - incandescent bulbs have a colour temp of 3200K. Or the same scene, yet lit with fluorescent strip lights. The picture would come out with a greenish hue (and no, I can't remember the colour temp of strip tubes).

All three times, your brain processes the info of the scene as looking fine i.e. pretty natural.

The same is bound to happen with "normal" white LEDs, yet your eye can't see it, it just tells the brain that its white. So when the light source hits something like the raisins, the effect can be worrying as the brain sees "white" light, but its reflected from the fruit looking different.

I took a digital image of a glass of, white wine I think it was, standing on the lens of a small torch/flashlight, damn! if it didn't look like something that would be drunk on camera for starwars or star trek.......

Always appreciate when we get the technical explanation on things and not just the "because it is" reason, makes much more sense of things

:)
I was one of those kids who asked "WHY?" way too much and expected real answers. Thankfully my parents were armed with encyclopedias.

Cyser turned out better than expected. Bottled after being clarified. Pretty tasty, still needs to age a couple more months before the honey and Apple flavors are more distinct.

Back