Accidentally added yeast nutrient before ready to add yeast--add more later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melicious

Reaction score
I mistakenly added yeast nutrient instead of pectic enzyme the day after putting my campden tab into my freshly pressed crabapple juice. (Trying 100% crabs because they are large and eatable off the tree, just to get a baseline on the end product & figure out if I want to combine with anything else in future batches, etc. but started off at 1.071 and actually added water to bring it down to 1.043. The fresh juice tastes great, and the Rose color is beautiful!)

--Using Lalvin D47, will be at around 70F in a my crawlspace access closet, since I have no basement. (Though I might check the crawlspace itself for temp stability since it's been weatherized & seems to stay a bit cooler--just afraid I will forget about it!)
--I have about 2/3 gallon in a 1-gal carboy with cheesecloth covering it until I'm ready to pitch.
--It's been 3 days since I put the campden in, and I did the yeast nutrient 2 days ago. Just added the PE today. Couple questions:

1. Can I add the yeast & nutrient today with yeast? Or should I wait since I just put in the PE? How long?

2. How much yeast nutrient to add with the yeast? How often to add more?

3. I know D47 tends toward a dryer profile, which is fine--that's also why I added some water to bring down the starting SG. I have some corn sugar somewhere I can backsweeten with. (I found almost all my stuff after not working on it for the last 2 years, but can't seem to find the corn sugar and extra airlocks! I have ONE right now.) What else would you recommend I use if I wanted to go with something I can find on-hand? Any sterilization issues?

4. I've got notes from when I researched this all originally mentioning doing PE at different points in the process, and whether it's actually needed or not. I decided to add it to try to reduce haziness, but am not sure it's going to make much difference, since I've just been fermenting pressed juice with very little pulp left straight into a primary carboy, but am a little disappointed on the volume yield from this method. What are your thoughts on putting ground chunks into a fermentation bucket instead, with PE as I think it's intended to be used, then straining that for the juice? Do you get much better yield, or flavor with the pieces still in it, or should I do it the way I'm already doing it to minimize contamination from more transfers/straining (I understand there can be issues with touching metal to the cider)? Am I using the PE all wrong?

TYIA!!

Back