Cyser Brag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FilJos

Reaction score
So back before I knew anything about anything, and I was just getting into home brewing because my father-in-law did it, I started a batch of Cyser. I didn't know that was what I was making at the time, but I was experimenting and thought, "Hey, I like honey, and I like cider, why not use honey as an adjunct for my cider?" So I combined 12 lbs of clover honey to 6 gallons of unfiltered and unpasteurized apple juice I got from a local orchard and threw in some... I think it was probably Red Star Premier Cuvee because that's what the old fella used. (Didn't realize at the time that he just liked making rocket fuel because he couldn't taste anything)

Well, when it was all done fermenting, I tasted some and it was quite awful. Doing some research, I heard that anything with honey takes a while to mellow out and taste good, so I laid it down after bottling and forgot about it. Which is amazing, because I really don't know why I didn't just dump it out.

That was five years ago. I opened a bottle of it last night, and Whoo Baby! It's just... great. Nice honey-apple taste, a little on the boozy side, but really awesome. I'm glad I stuck with the home wine making; can't wait to taste some of my other early inventions in a few more years. And now that I actually use recipes and document what I'm doing, I can't wait to make a few more meads and a melomel or two and let them grow old.

Congratulations! I love hearing stories of disasters transforming into jewels.
(it gives me hope that some of the crap I've made may yet be drinkable):eek:

Back