Cyser and Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

methusula110

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a 5 gallon batch of cyser. I pitched 1 packet of Red Star Pasteur champagne yeast (the recipe was vague on how much to use). It is bubbling nicely now, but it looks like a lot of mead brewers are using 2 packets (5 grams). Here is the recipe

11lbs clover honey
5 gallons apple cyder
cinnamon and cloves
Orange peel at 15 minutes
1packet of Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast

Question: Is this enough yeast? And if not can I add more now. I made the batch Sunday evening 1-20. Thanks for any help

That amount of yeast is fine. Two packets of yeast just reduces lag time which has a few small benefits. If your brew is bubbling nicely then don't worry.

I even just use one pack regardless of the brew. If I need a larger yeast pitch I make a starter in a small low gravity must and then pitch that.

Thanks Arpolis, finding apple cider without preservatives was tricky, but the cost $ of this brew is high. Didn't want to find out 2 months later that I should have added more yeast.

If anyone is interested, 9 days and the airlock hasn't slowed down yet! Getting a bubble every 2-3 seconds. I'm supposed to transfer to a secondary this weekend, but I'll have to see if the fermentation has slowed a little before I do.

With my meads I actually wait for them to clear some before I switch to secondary. Some yeasts it is months down the road intill I transfer. The only difference is with Lalvin 71b. And transfer to secondary much sooner with that yeast.

So transfer when you want but my point is to not worry if you wait a few extra days or week(s).

Back