Cycling brew equipment for concurrent brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am attempting to brew a Porter and a Pale Ale in the same session, starting either one first in Kettle 1 and then the second in Kettle 2. I think that I can use the same wort chilling for both batches but am unable to locate guidance on which beer would be advisable to start first.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

I BTB (back to back) 10 gal batches all the time. I rinse kettles, pumps and hoses during or between batches, to remove any crud, and have never noticed anything "off". Then again, I have never duplicated the same two brews and reversed the order see if there is actually any difference.

Try to stagger the batches by a half hour or so. That way when you are done chilling one of the beers, you can rinse off the chiller and put it in the kettle with the other beer during the last 10 mins of the boil to sanitize it again.

Thak you all for the great responses.

I'll go ahead with the staggered start time and we'll see how it goes. Brew day is 3/7, so give me a week and I'll let you know how it went!

I'm always physically and mentally pretty wiped out after a brew day! Doing 2 all grain batches would totally drain me!

:mug:

I'm always physically and mentally pretty wiped out after a brew day! Doing 2 all grain batches would totally drain me!

:mug:

I'v done 2 10 gal batches several times and it is just a little too much. I lov the hobby but really wish it was a 2-3 hour event not 5 for one 10 gal and 7 hours for 2 10 gal batch

I'v done 2 10 gal batches several times and it is just a little too much. I lov the hobby but really wish it was a 2-3 hour event not 5 for one 10 gal and 7 hours for 2 10 gal batch

Perhaps it's time for you to try a different method then. Look up BIAB and no chill. Using the two together, I can put out a small batch on my kitchen stove in a little over 2 hours and chill it out on my deck for the next 4 or 5 hours while I do other things. You'll need your grains milled much finer if you are going to match my time but even with the grains milled like you normally would you should be done with a batch in 3 hours.

Back