Cutting the rubber seal of a mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pursuit0fhoppiness

GTA Brews club member, pharma technologist
Reaction score
Hey all, I'd like some input on a mini fridge mod. Currently I have an SS Brewtech FTSs temp control system going, with the tubing running into a bucket with the pump and some water in there, and I swap out 3 frozen pop bottles a few times a day to keep the water cold so that when the pump kicks on it chills the beer back down to the set point. As seen here:

image0.png

To save myself and my gf from having to swap those bottles multiple times a day (and not having temp control if I'm away), I picked up a mini fridge today. My idea is to run the tubing into that, with the pump and some water in a large tupperware container. The fridge will keep the water cold all the time, so I don't have to do anything.

image1 (1).jpeg

The question is how to get the tubing in there. I definitely don't want to drill through any electrical or refrigerant lines, so I was thinking of going through the door as I'm sure there's none. But then realized whenever I open the door it'll likely yank on the tubing/tupperware container. So then I thought I could cut out just enough of the rubber seal at the top of the door, and fit the tubing through there (see below). I think it would still seal, and if not I could put a heavy bottle in front of the door. And if I wasn't using the cooling system, I could put two rubber bungs in those spots to fill the seal or something. Happy to hear any thoughts and if this is would work!

image2 (1).jpeg

Maybe just run the tubes into the fridge between the seal and the fridge and get a latch for the door. I know they have latches for refrigerators. Wont be a perfect seal but should help get the job done.

i'd go through the door, and slap a magnet over the hole when not used. it's what i do on mine and it works just fine. i can ferment ales or lagers inside, and slap a faucet in the door for serving kegs when i'm not using it as a fermenter.

You can also find a section in the back where the condenser is. Usually represented by the hump inside your fridge.

You would need longer lines, but you could run those and use some spray foam to seal it afterwards. You’ll see quite a bit of loss through the front door seal with hoses, electrical wires, whatever running through the front door in warmer months

Or build yourself a small extension so you can fit the whole damn bucket in there. Convert to a blow off tube vs airlock as that will save you about 3-4 inches in height.

I can't tell from your picture, but in many mini fridges the only coolant lines are in the the metal piece that makes up the freezer. If yours is that style, you can drill through the side.

I can't tell from your picture, but in many mini fridges the only coolant lines are in the the metal piece that makes up the freezer. If yours is that style, you can drill through the side.

I would use caution with this advice. My GE mini fridge has a freezer cold plate for the evaporator but the condensing coils are on the side of the refrigerator. After it is running for a bit I can feel the warm spots on both sides. I did have luck drilling a hole in the back (top left when looking in) of the refrigerator to run a CO2 line in for a couple kegs so i would probably take that route if I were in your position.

Back