Cutting stainless welds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthompson

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been searching for a bit now on the interwebs, to no avail.

I have a whole bunch of 2" stainless square tubing, except it is currently welded in a different configuration. Amazingly these were at the bottom of a lake, used as diffusers for an aeration system (I manage lakes and ponds for a living, so I sometimes score useful things. :ban:) These were old and clogged, and the home owners' association said to just get rid of them after we replaced them with something that didn't weigh 200lbs!!!

IMG_20110809_093245_zps6cae52d0.jpg

Anyway, I have three of these things with three more to come. I want to cut them apart so I can have them welded into a brew stand. They have angle welds at the corners and some 1/2" stainless plates under each corner.

My question is, what is my best chance for cutting these apart? I saw a lot of people say cutting wheel/grinder for cold steel, but can't find anything about cutting stainless welds.

Anybody do this before? Hints and tips are welcome.

:mug:

Cutting wheel will work fine, you will just go though blades a little faster. A plasma cutter will also work well if you have access to one, but will leave a rough edge to say the least.

Back