cutting shanks to make them smaller a bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st0neski

Reaction score
i have 3 5 1/8in shanks that I got in a kit from keg connection. I am looking to make a tower and need smaller shanks. I am trying to sell the shanks, but have also though about cutting them with a hacksaw or something to the size I need.

Has anyone ever cut their shanks to a smaller size, or would this be a bad idea?

Reasons I came up with not to cut them:

-little metal pieces could get in there that I couldn't clean out.
-not a good tight seal after cutting them

Just want to make sure that I shouldnt cut them and continue to try to sell or trade them.

what do you guys think?

Don't do it. You'll mess the threads up. Then they won't be worth snot and they won't work.

I don't think you will be able to make a square enough cut with a hacksaw which would cause them not to seal, provided the threads survive.

Also, if they are chrome plated, you lose all corrosion resistance at the cut. If they are stainless, good luck cutting.

if they are stainless and you know some one with a lathe they can cut them down. i would do it but for the cost of shipping i think you are better off getting new ones.

I cut mine down without any problems, but they were old brass shanks. Just like cutting any bolt or threaded object the end threads need to be chamfered slightly, and the starting thread may need to be cleaned up with a file. Stainless would be a little tougher to cut.

Run a nut over the threads so when you cut it down, you unscrew the nut, which chases the threads on it's way out. If you can face the cut end on a belt sander that will get it flat, and if you're careful you can get it square, which is important for the washer to seal. A band saw is going to make this much easier, and a a lathe even better. I'm assuming you are building a flat faced tower, because the round towers need curved spacers to look right.

before you chase the thread with the nuts use a file to clean the threads. then run the nut off and all should be good.

Use 2 nuts and tighten them together on the side you want to cut off, use the nut as a guide to make a straight cut using a good hack saw or band saw. Back the nuts off the opposite way a bit, clean the threads up and remove the nuts.

Should workout well for you if these are not stainless. If so, buy new ones at the length you need.

Salute! :mug:

Latest posts

Back