• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Georgia CUSTOM Mash tun, keg cooker insulation wraps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawai

Reaction score
DOC SEWS insulated pads. I hired him to make me a insulator wrap to go around my keg cooker, which is also my mash tun, which is also my hot-water pot. I am sure others here need these also.

This fabric is white, it was a custom order for something else, anything else "in stock" is grey, silver colored. He has been an insulator all his life, in breweries, commercial, industrial and (choke chemical plants). RIGHT NOW there is no work in North Georgia for a 63 year old insulator/73 year old wife, so he NEEDS YOUR CUSTOM JOBS to pay his bills. (meaning he'll jump through a hoop for you)

My pads...I think this is the way it should be done. Yours will be custom... your own cut outs for electric elements, temp probes, etc. I will make a sketch, you can download to put measurements onto. I told him normal 1/2 barrel 15.5 gallon kegs are 16" diameter, 23 1/2" tall. So he priced me the insulation, temperature cloth, and labor at $175. Multiples ordered would drop it about $10. Shipping will run $15, via Fedex (no Hawaii, Alaska or international shipments), with tracking number provided as soon as shipped. 2' by 1' by 18" cardboard carton. Locals can come visit & save the shipping.

PERSONALLY, I love keeping the heat in the pot, not in the room. Of course I am a fat boy and don't like to sweat. I lifted the lid during my last brew and my wife ran over and quickly shut the basement door. I do admit I sweated off a pound or two then. Doc made me an insulated "frisbee" to keep even more heat in mine, a draw string on top to hold it all on. It can come off in ten seconds.

details:
Industrial insulation / high temp thread / high temp cloth
Velcro closure
Wrap around
Draw string
Time line to delivery... right now - 2 weeks with a 50% deposit for materials. It comes in big rolls.
[email protected] for questions. (that's ME)

You can email questions to me directly till he gets it all back together. I'll pass them on. I am in Tunnel Hill, Georgia myself and will give you my phone number with any email or message here. I am a new brewing addict and on here to learn more.

I think I covered everything. Questions? I'll jump to help a buddy out. I vouch for his honesty & skills. I have known him since the 80s. After a bad divorce, he/his family took me in like a stray puppy till I got back on my feet. He's another old Panhead rider. I however have moved to a "garbage barge" Evolution.

WE are working on a "ELECTRIC CUSTOM HOTPLATE" to sit a unmodified keg on for me. Doc helped me build my first powder coat oven & my first aluminium smelter. He knows his stuff. I'm the goofy industrial electrician in the bunch.

keg 011.jpg

keg 016.jpg

keg 017.jpg

keg 018.jpg

DOC says, the insulation in mine 1200 degrees. I have seen him embed heating elements directly into the pads for chemical transfer lines that freeze up from tanker trucks. This might be a idea for cook pots also here. Those were "expensive elements thou". If you remember, my cooker build post has a oven element reshaped in it, this is how (see picture) "he wrapped mine in the bottom, there is a piece of stainless mesh making the pad rigid". YOUR cooker may have a immersion element or a propane burner. It will be fine on the outside of the keg on the other side of the drop rim from the flame.

The fabric will barely get warm on the outside at 212 he says also.

More than I need, the element in the bottom in mine gets "red" which if I remember my blacksmithing color of steel is about 600-800 degrees??? (If anyone wants to chime in, my memory is for crap these days) Of course the element or flame gets hotter than the pot with liquid will thou.

This is "overkill" for a mash tun, or cook pot.. but.. I love "Fast cars too".

YOUR needs maybe different, hence the "custom" for each one. Lower temps can perhaps be a tad cheaper. You really have to be careful to not use a insulation that is not designed for the "maximum temps".. ie: some of the foams used in industry can produce cyanide gas when heated too hot.. so.. this is where the "old pro" experience comes in. To save trouble and danger from misapplication.

remember.. I am the electrician, Doc is the insulator. He's "obie wan" in that field and I bow to him. When he needs electrical, he calls me thou.

DId that answer your question? Can I help more or talk-type less? (I got a beer in me)

keg 013.jpg

SORRY guys Doc has went back to Commerical work, has no time left in his day for custom work. Rough on a old man climbing and insulating in a hot mill-chemical plant. He stopped by and purchased my shop truck from me cause he didn't have time to work on his.

This ain't rocket science, you can insulate your tun, or brew kettle with "rock wool" yourself, wrap it with fiberglass cloth, or matt and pin-wire it. I have saw in commercial applications people use a staple gun, rivets, bolts to hold the insulation pads together.

I did one with a outer metal shell (modified water well pressure storage tank), insulation between it and the inner keg pot. Worked just fine. I used 3 inches of insulation and it did not get warm outside.

The whole key is keeping the heat where you want it.. a mash tun does not require the very high temp insulation, thou.. some insulation types give off nasty fumes when overheated.

ADMIN, if you take a notion, you can delete this thread.. thank you so much.

Back