Custom Kegerator (Merchandizer) Finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techbiker

Reaction score
I just snagged a QBD DC7H "merchandizer" with 3 windows! Two pin locks fit comfortably inside and there is still room for more bottles on top. :) She blows cold, although I underestimated the cosmetic work required for a quality kegerator conversion. After pulling the Pepsi stickers off the sides, I saw that the sides weren't originally a yellow cigarette color. lol

Soapy water and a sponge had no effect on the discoloration. A buffing pad barely scratched the surface. As a last resort, I broke out the wet sanding kit and started with 800 grit sand paper. It appears the nasty yellow stain made it all of the way through the paint so I now have two choices.

Should I repaint the fridge or take it down to the stainless steel? It seems the enclosure is stainless since there are several nicks and paint-less areas that have not rusted. I'm probably going to apply new custom graphics either way.

Leaving it stainless is less work, but I wouldn't mind painting it black, white, or gray if it looks better. What do you think would look best?

P.S. The lock is already in the trash. I'm going to have to find a solution for the drill holes in the top though. I'm purchasing new hinges, a new shelf, etc.

Thanks! :mug:

kegeratorfrontsmall.jpg

sidesmall.jpg

diagonalsmalledited.jpg

Update:

It turns out that the cabinet is built with galvanized steel, not stainless. I also learned from QBD that the side window gaskets should not be removed. I suppose I'm planning to simply respray the sides and top oem white. I'm hoping this will cut down on over-spray problems.

Do you think it's worth cutting a hole in the top for a tower? The fridge itself is so nice that I'm not sure I want to cut a hole in the cabinet. I could build a custom faucet shank mount to place on a shelf in the fridge. What would you do?

MrFood,

I got one quote for a full wrap and it's around $300 (I would have the company install it)!

I decided it makes more sense to get an HVLP system, spray the fridge, and purchase smaller vinyl stickers for around $70. Do you have any color recommendations?

If it's galvanized metal, look into prepping galvanized surfaces for painting.
They don't hold paint well.
If it has been previously painted, I would do a "scuff and shoot", after a thorough cleaning, and a wipe down with wax and grease remover.

Color?

I would do it white, if you are going to doll it up with stickers.

If it's galvanized metal, look into prepping galvanized surfaces for painting.
They don't hold paint well.
If it has been previously painted, I would do a "scuff and shoot", after a thorough cleaning, and a wipe down with wax and grease remover.

Color?

I would do it white, if you are going to doll it up with stickers.

I'll make sure to apply the best-looking coat of white possible. I am considering putting on some bondo in an area where the cabinet took a dent. Hopefully the old paint will support it (with the proper prep of course).

I'm excited about this fridge but have decided it best to put a tower hole in the top. I discovered some nasty rust on the evaporator coil so I don't care too much about maintaining its condition anymore. Will spray on some rust converter to stop the spread.

What do you think about installing a 5 or 10lb co2 tank mount on the back interior wall over the step? Then, I could mount a dual regulator next to it. A new shelf over the top of the kegs could support a bunch of bottles and cans!

This is definitely pie in the sky, but do you know of any company that produces small ultra-wide lcd panels? I'm debating installing one in the door to display the latest brews. :mug:

Edit: What do you think about installing an "LED Matrix Panel" on the door or one wall? http://www.adafruit.com/products/420

Then, I could use a raspberry pi or something to display beer stuff. https://learn.adafruit.com/connecting-a-16x32-rgb-led-matrix-panel-to-a-raspberry-pi/overview

All the "LCD" and "Raspberry Pi" stuff is over my head, Bro!

As for the interior space, I couldn't say or tell without a hands on "visual" and a tape measure!

Latest posts

Back