Curry Spiced Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grant109

Reaction score
I'm a beginner brewer but I decided I wanted to try and combine two of my favorite things, curry and beer. The only problem is, I'm not sure what style of beer would work best with the spices that would be involved. I'd love to bounce some ideas off you guys and maybe even get some suggestions on what malt/extracts and hops might work well.

I've considered doing a curry beer, too. I planned on a porter, thinking a smoky porter would stand up nicely with the curry, or an English bitter, which was often paired with curry dishes.

Good luck!

A Belgian style is also a good choice for the exact reason you mention. Easy to see that working, as long as you use the curry in moderation. It's very easy to over-spice.

Like a European version of Chili Pepper Beer! +1 to the smoked porter idea, I think the earthy notes will go well with the curry spices.

+1 for a dark, sweet beer. A porter would be awesome, or maybe even like a dark Belgian strong. Keep us posted and take good notes. I'm interested in how this turns out. Also bears repeating: go easy on the spice. Very easy to over spice beer.

I guess another thing to consider is do you want the heat or the flavor?

As a cream stout would kill most of the heat but would still let the curry flavor shine through.

Let us know how it goes thouh it's an interesting enough idea.

We got finished bottling a Vanilla Chai Porter a few weeks back. Seeing as a lot of curries, well basically, their ingredients are chai. Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, Cardamon and Anise. We did 2oz of the mix in the secondary. First taste was real spicy. Overwhelmed any of the Vanilla.

If your going to add just curry powder, I couldn't see more then 1/2oz. Adding in some of the other typical curry dish ingredients might be a way to go.

How to combine curry and beer:

1. Make some goat jalfrezi.

2. Crack open a regular, non-spiced beer. Pour into glass.

3. Consume. Sip after bite.

I mean, seriously? I'm Dave Friggin' Lister, I <3 curry so much. But making a curry beer? Just eat the damn vindaloo and drink your beer alongside. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

How to combine curry and beer:

1. Make some goat jalfrezi.

2. Crack open a regular, non-spiced beer. Pour into glass.

3. Consume. Sip after bite.

I mean, seriously? I'm Dave Friggin' Lister, I <3 curry so much. But making a curry beer? Just eat the damn vindaloo and drink your beer alongside. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Yeah. Those were pretty much my thoughts when I opened this thread. I went to the best Indian buffet in town with my wife today. Had lamb vindaloo, curried chicken and mango, and butter chicken. Not once did I think "man, this would go really good in a beer".

I don't mean to be a downer, though... I've done a lot of crazy things with beer. Not all of them have turned out, but you never know until you try.

Since IPAs were originally made to be consumed in India I'd have thought a well executed Recipe with a hint of garam masala, clove and cinnamon might be quite good.:mug:

Back