Curious question on threaded vs TC element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpolzin25

Reaction score
So I am planning on buying a 15 gallon kettle and having Bobby at Brewhardware cut the holes for my element/spigot/temperature sensor port for me and install the hardware. I was going to previously convert my 11 gallon bayou classic to electric which meant installing a TC port was a must to fit the 5500 watt ripple element however width isn't an issue w/ the 15 gallon pot. So the question now becomes do I still spend the extra money to have the TC port soldered on and use the TC style element or do I just go w/ the standard threaded element style. Costwise it looks like the difference will be about $50 more for the TC route. Wondering if that extra $50 is worth spending to have the soldered TC port element or if I should save that money and just go the threaded route. Thanks

TC route has a couple of advantages over threaded. Power cord disconnects at the kettle wall which is nice for cleanup, no more lugging the kettle with cord attached to the sink. Also for cleanup its nice to be able to remove the element and have access to the bottom of the kettle, as well as for cleaning the underside of the element itself.
For me the additional cost is minimized because of the conveniences mentioned above.

Back