Culturing from commercial bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulud

Reaction score
Well this is my first time doing this and I am about to step it up from 200ml to 1000ml. I had to go to the hospital for a few days because my daughter was born a week early. When I got home yesterday I saw this in the bottle, is this normal or should I dump it? It seems like mold or maybe a pellicle but I'm not sure.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1464881013.446363.jpg

Congratulations! Now that your daughter is born, it is good that you can refocus on the important things...like culturing yeast from commercial bottles. It's hard to tell what we are looking at from the photo. Could just be a big yeast "floatie". If it is the color of yeast and smells OK I wouldn't worry about it. A pellicle would also be expected with Gueuze/lambic, although I wouldn't expect it to form so quickly.

Congratulations! Now that your daughter is born, it is good that you can refocus on the important things...like culturing yeast from commercial bottles. It's hard to tell what we are looking at from the photo. Could just be a big yeast "floatie". If it is the color of yeast and smells OK I wouldn't worry about it. A pellicle would also be expected with Gueuze/lambic, although I wouldn't expect it to form so quickly.

Thanks!

Yea I was thinking it was a bit fast to be a pellicle but I'm new to this process. I'll smell the culture here in a bit once my daughter wakes up, just don't want to wake her at the moment lol

I seem to always get a pellicle in the bottle when harvesting dregs. Mine have all had a waxy appearance, never fuzzy. For whatever that's worth. Good luck.

Looks good. Keep going. Taste it after a growth step or too. Will likely taste like an awesome sour beer w yeast nutrient. If you used it.

I seem to always get a pellicle in the bottle when harvesting dregs. Mine have all had a waxy appearance, never fuzzy. For whatever that's worth. Good luck.

Yea that little bit is fuzzy which is what gives me pause.

Looks good. Keep going. Taste it after a growth step or too. Will likely taste like an awesome sour beer w yeast nutrient. If you used it.

Only thing that worries me is the fuzz I tried to fake a pic of

Latest posts

Back