Crystal left behind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I steep and add crystal concentrate into fermentor?

• Go for it !

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Too late, you'll screw it up.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Add to one fermentor and compare

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WesBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A 1lb bag of crystal 60 fell under the table during brew session for 10 gallons of 5% Oktoberfest and got left out. Vienna base with some Munich and tastes pretty good at 1 week in fermentor

I say leave it out. Just update your recipe/notes in case you ever want to brew it again.

I wondered if that touch of crystal would be a good layer. Its not bad now and should be better with some lagering. its still cloudy and fermenting now.

If it's still fermenting, there's no problem with adding it (the yeast will consume the oxygen introduced from the steeping water). Personally I'd leave it out (easier drinking/less sweet without it). If you want a richer beer then add it. So neither of your poll options!

I hit target SG without the pound. must have been the mash recirculation I tried with the pump. lol. its in two fermentors, I suppose I could add to one, you're correct though, it might be a more drinkable brew without it.

Good call. I Left it out. At two weeks in fermentors the subtle malt flavors are starting to come through. Tasty. If anything I'll just replace that lb of crystal with another lb of Munich next time.

Good! Crystal malt has absolutely NO business in an Oktoberfest.
It may have known that and jumped off the table, saving its a$$ and your beer.

Now a little Melanoidin malt would have been good.

beer picks. this beer is better than I thought for my second lager/ first 34/70. 3 weeks in fermentor, 1 week in brite tank. malts are coming through now really nice but its still light body 5%, which I wanted. I would definitely use 34/70 again for this.

dc6eae2b-affd-4f39-8329-513532f50b0e-original.jpg

Last edited:
Back