Crystal 40 / Munich / CaraMunich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
So JZ's Red Rocket clone uses Crystal 40 and Munich

9.5 lb. Pale 2 Row (3 SRM)
0.5 lb. Victory (25 SRM)
1.0 lb. Crystal 40 (40 SRM)
0.5 lb. Crystal 120 (120 SRM)
1.0 lb. Munich (10 SRM)
0.25 Lb. Chocolate (200 SRM)

What are your thoughts on just adding 1-2 lbs. of Caramunich?

T

True, Munich is a base malt. and Caramunich is a crystal malt in the 30-40 range, this is why I am asking the question

What are your thoughts on just adding 1-2 lbs. of Caramunich?
No opinion, just a couple of calculations (assuming the use of CaraMunich instead of Munich 10L)
  • In the 'original' recipe, there is 1.75# (14%) crystal/roasted malt.
  • In the revised recipe, there would be 2.75# (22%) crystal/roasted malt.

No opinion, just a couple of calculations (assuming the use of CaraMunich instead of Munich 10L)
  • In the 'original' recipe, there is 1.75# (14%) crystal/roasted malt.
  • In the revised recipe, there would be 2.75# (22%) crystal/roasted malt.
i would remove the Crystal 40 as well

1661306963441.png

• 10.25# (down from 12.75#).
  • 17% crystal.
  • SRM of 17 is very dark for an amber, almost dark enough for a brown.

I did a little background searching on Red Rocket.

Beer Advocate tasting notes (emphasis added) said:
Red Rocket Ale Bear Republic Brewing Co.

[description]: Red Rocket Ale is a bastardized Scottish style red ale packed with distinctive flavors and an aggressive hop character rivaled by none. This unfiltered, bottle-conditioned [!] amber colored ale breaks all style molds.

and a clone recipe topic from 2010 here at HomeBrewTalk (link).

I am actually thinking about dropping the C-40 and going with a darker Munich (20L) if I can get it....I love Munich Malt, and with the hops, I think it would balance out well with an extra pound

Are we back to making changes to the original? ;)

Opinion: if I was trying different malts in a recipe, I wouldn't use a JZ recipe as a starting point.

Opinion: As a 'scottish ale' the recipe makes sense. IMO, it's a little too dark and a little too 'roasty' (C120L, light chocolate) for an American Amber Ale.

Opinion: if the beer comes out clear, it will be likely be a delightful ruby red-ish color. If it's cloudy, more like a muddled light brown color.

Thank you for your input and feedback,
I tend to be all over the place when I first start thinking about a new beer.

Things I like: Malt Forward, with roast, chocolate notes, warm bread notes, and an upfront hop experience that lets the malt take back over on the finish
The new current idea, is to replace the Munich and Crystal 40 with just plain Munich, should drop the color, give me the malt back bone I like, and let some of the character of the 120, Victory, and chocolate come through.

If this were a competition beer I would try and enter it in both American Amber and Scottish and see what I got as feedback, although I know it is a bit hoppy for Scottish

I've almost completely stopped using generic American crystal, in favor of English, or Caramunich, or Special B, or ...

That said, regular Munich ... a pound or so in a recipe always seems to me to do good things.

Back