crusty bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobstar

Reaction score
Good day!

I purchased 50 used Grolsh bottles and recently noticed that there's a thin flim/crust at the bottom. I've tried soaking them in Diversol, tried the jet washer and it's just not coming off.. Are there any strong products out there that could remove this? I also tried a brush but the bristles were too soft to provide any real scrubbing force.

I was thinking something like CLR but I'm not sure what that will leave behind in the bottles.

Thanks!!

I had this with some bottles i forgot about for a year in the basement. I put my "mystery cleaner" powder in them, probably PBR (diluted per instructions) and let it sit for a couple of days. Then I closed the swing top and shock the heck outta them, then it rinsed clean.

How long are you letting the bottles sit in the solution? If you haven't tried letting them sit for 3 - 4 days, you're not waiting long enough.

Back