Crushing spelt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountaineerBrewer

Reaction score
I plan on making an ancient ale described in The Homebrewer's Companion by malting my own spelt and using it. Has anyone ever used spelt? My question is, can I run the malted spelt through my barley crusher maltmill for mashing or do I need to use a food processor or some other method to get the correct crush?

MountainBrewer - I saw that no one replied to your post. Did you ever find any information on this? I am curious as I have a recipe that I want to try with Spelt as well. I heard that Weyermann may carry a spelt malt that you might be able to special order.

Please let me know what you find.

So i am about to brew with spelt in a week or so. I live near Athens, Ohio. They grow the stuff down the road. Super excited to use this as a local ingredient. Did you guys ever brew these? Please see this even though its been a year. Would love to chat.

When I brewed with spelt in the winter I use my food processor to mill it since it didn't have a husk. I need a motor for my grain mill to run these harder grains like spelt and raw wheat through my monster mill. My wrist and drill can't handle the resistance.

Brewing with it was no different than brewing with raw wheat for me. I did not do a cereal mash and everything was fine. The recipe used 27% spelt.

Just brewed a couple of days ago with it myself. I don't have a mill or a food processor, and I actually ended up using my coffee grinder. The grind was not particularly consistent, but it seemed to work out for me alright. We'll see in a month or so!

So I can just run it through my mill as the whole spelt berry? I have the option of getting rolled spelt. Should I get that?

If you are malting it then there should be no real difference between using malted spelt or malted wheat since spelt is a form of wheat. However, like unmalted wheat, unmalted spelt is rather hard.

Rolled spelt might be easier if you don't have the ability to tear up unmalted grain in your mill or some other device like a food processor. You're definitely not going to do a good job of breaking the grain up with a rolling pin. More like a hammer...

I milled my spelt last night in my MM3 with a drill and it crushed just fine. It is a harder grain so you will notice that when you are crushing it.

Latest posts

Back