Crushed insulation while installing tap shanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will-D

Reaction score
I'm installing my tap shanks I can't seem to get them tight. Can I just crush the insulation or remove it entirely around each shank in the door to get them tight and then re-insulate around them?

I just took a piece of plywood 2" wide and about 1' long (I have 3 taps) drilled it to match the hole alignment, and that allowed the faucets to draw up tight.

I just took a piece of plywood 2" wide and about 1' long (I have 3 taps) drilled it to match the hole alignment, and that allowed the faucets to draw up tight.

I imagine this would work well. I wouldnt recommend crushing the insulation, as it will both provide for an unstable connection, and eliminate the insulation's insulating properties.

I was going to basically screw the nut all the way to the door and get a good tight fit, and then add some insulation back around the shank. I went ahead and cut a piece of plywood and drilled holes (which, surprisingly, lined up great to the shanks) and will install it and see if that helps.

I crushed the insulation.
Not a lot. Just enough to counter sink the edges of the nut.
It worked pretty well.

Back