Crushed Grain Lifespan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj_van_gilder

Reaction score
I do not have my own mill yet so I have to crush my grain at the LHBS. How long will grain stay good after it has been crushed? I won't be able to brew until next week but I was going to be in the area of my LHBS tomorrow.

Crushed grain loses its freshness quickly, so if you can't brew with it then do the best you can to keep it fresh. Vacuum seal it or otherwise keep it from moisture by sealing it and keeping it cool (not cold) in zip lock bags.

That should be fine. I have used grain that was 6 weeks post crush and it came out fine.

EDIT: I should mention that it was kept airtight and dry for this period of time.

boo boo said:
Crushed grain loses its freshness quickly, so if you can't brew with it then do the best you can to keep it fresh. Vacuum seal it or otherwise keep it from moisture by sealing it and keeping it cool (not cold) in zip lock bags.

I guess I will just make two trips then. One for the yeast to make a starter and then I will go back on brew day and get the grains. I really need to invest in a mill next.

Crushed grains, like beer, reacts with oxygen to produce off flavors and a "stale" character. This process is accelerated at warmer temperatures and, since grain is not sterile, it contains an ecosystem of microbes so it is important to keep it dry. The advice given here by other is correct, it is fine if kept dry, cool and as free of oxygen as possible. That is, bagged or vacuum packed. If stored this way, you can keep crushed grain about 2 weeks and be assured the flavor is fine. If stored longer than 2 weeks, taste it and see if you detect any stale flavor. If so, get new grain.

Dr Malt:mug:

My LHBS owner recommends putting the grain in the refridgerator if you plan to store it more than a week. If you do put it in the fridge just take it out the night before you brew to let it return to room temp.

I've stored crushed grain in the fridge for 6 weeks because I just could not get around to brewing. The beer turned out great.

So you got conventional wisdom saying one thing and practical experience saying another.

But less than a week and it should be of little or no concern.

Back