Crud! Lost Some Bines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
My hops are in their second year and they've been doing really well, some having reached the top of my 10' trellis a week ago. I have chicken wire surrounding the mounds. I had intended to replace the chicken wire with something a little more elegant this year, but money is kinda tight. Also, before I was able to get out and get the bines strung up, a good number of the bines had become intertwined with the chicken wire. I don't recall it being a problem last year so I wasn't too worried about it

We've had some storms and high winds the last few days, especially last night. After getting home this evening, I went out to survey the hops. Just about all the plants have damaged leaves, but I soon realized that the leaves on a couple of my best growing Crystal bines a were completely limp - not good. Upon closer examination, I found that the bines had been cut almost all the way through near the bottom; the motion from the wind caused the chicken wire to pretty much saw through the otherwise sturdy bines. I'm really glad I decided to string up a few extras. After looking around it seems a number of bines on some of the other plants have sustained similar damage, though not as bad. Now I need to make some decisions.

Is it okay to leave the dead/dying bines in place? They're pretty well intertwined on the strings and I figure trying to undo them will prove more detrimental than beneficial. Also, I'm debating whether I should cut out the chicken wire, or if I can cust lash the bines to the wire so they don't move around so much. The chicken wire does keep the pets out of the mounds, and like I said, money is kinda tight... though I guess I could find something pretty cheap right now...

Chris

I am sorry for your loss. In a week it should be pretty clear what is living and what can be carefully trimmed away and put in the compost pile.

Hope it works out for you! I lost some sprouts to some critter, probably a rabbit. Put a fence around my hop mounds. Problem solved. Good luck!

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to cut out the dead ones. I don't think decaying material is good to have in such close proximity. After the rain and tissue damage I'm already worried about a possible issue with gray mold, so I sprayed all my plants with some Green Cure.

One bine is definitely a goner, which is a shame as it was the most vigorous of all my plants. The second one looks like it might be hanging on, but I'd be surprised if it makes it. Now I just need to do some damage control and move to prevent this from happening to the other bines.

Chris

If nothing else, it'll be demoralizing to see the rotting plant up there for the next few months. I'd try to take the dead ones down. Also, hammer in some tent stakes into the chicken wire so it doesn't move so much!

Actually, it was the bines swaying in the breeze and rubbing against the chicken wire, but yes, they need to be immobilized some.

For some reason I can't edit my post. I just wanted to add it wasn't a breeze, but more like a 60 MPH wind.

Actually, it was the bines swaying in the breeze and rubbing against the chicken wire, but yes, they need to be immobilized some.
I had the same problem, I have 1x1 angle ion for my stakes, and like you said, the swaying of the bines was starting to cut them on the angle iron stakes, I just drwve them in the ground further and used electrical tape to prevent them from rubbing the sharp edges, seems to be working, good luck and sorry for your loss.

Unless you are expecting a very wet summer, I'd just leave the dead bines alone. They'll just dry out and hang.

My dog ran through the trellis area a couple of years ago and broke one bine. It was intertwined with several others. I left it in place without any harm to the other bines. Remove it if you want to - it will be fine if you leave it.

Well, lost the top of another Crystal bine. It broke off at the top of the trellis so no huge deal, but dang... At this rate I'll be lucky to get a harvest this year. According to the wife it was extremely windy again today (I was pretty far from home and indoors all day). I don't know if it contributed to the problems yesterday, or if it's new today, but looking at the plants tonight I found that a few of the stakes anchoring the strings had actually been pulled out of the ground! so the plants continute to take a beating while I have yet to even have a chance to properly address the issues. Just whining since this is a hop forum. Obviously there are people who are having much worse luck with the weather. As I type this there are tornado warnings to the south in central Illinois.

Chris

Latest posts

Back