Cross-Atlantic Marriage, or May I Mix These Two?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GQT

Reaction score
I have two leftover kits of basic APA - nothing outstanding but a fine drink when you open a fridge with no particular idea what to find there.
Normally I use liquid yeast but I found a pack of US-05 and another one of Nottingham in the fridge door that I once bought just in case for whatever emergency.
I want to use them now on these two kits. My kettle allows me to brew two batches together no problem, however I feel lazy to do split batching and ferment them separately, so this is what I'm thinking about: pitching both British and American yeasts in one fermenter.
I know this idea would seem sick and sickening to many, but has anyone actually tried doing it? What should I expect from such a marriage?

Nothing exciting, is what I'd expect. Notty is pretty neutral, just like 05. Brew on. Just keep it cool (below 70, at the very least).

I did that with those two yeasties on a barleywine I brewed at new year. Didn't intend to, I just forgot that I'd given my other Notty away to a mate with a stuck fermentation and hadn't taken it off my beer smith inventory. Us-05 was my least weird spare sachet so I used it itch the one sachet of Nottingham I did still have.

Will let you know how it turned out at Christmas when I plan to crack the first one....[emoji482]

No reason not to do it!
I have pitched Notty and BRY57, or what ever the name is.
I was pleased to get nothing but the typical Notty profile, just with a little extra carbonation.Remember to warm it up for a day or so before you bottle and you will be sweet.

Back