Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went out last night and decided to have beers that I have never had before.

Hefe (Good stuff and at 4.00 a bottle I wish I had more than 1. Strange the bar I was in served them in wine glasses. Is this a style of beer or a brand?)

SN Bigfoot Stout (Drinking it reminded me of how bad it was drinking the beast when I was younger. Really disappointing I love SNPA)

Hoegarden (Good but I am not a big fan of wheat beers)

Young's Double Chocolate Stout. (Not bad beer but really chocolaty. Like you poured about an oz. of Hershey's chocolate in a stout beer. Reinforced my opinion that I haven't found a flavored beer I like)

The good news is I think my homebrew is better than at least 2 of them. Really 3 because I wouldn't make a wheat beer.

Yeah, hefeweizen is just a german term for wheat beers. There are basically two types German style-with a special yeast that lends alot of banana/clove flavoring. American hefe's use a much milder yeast and more of the wheat "maltiness" can come through.

Chris_Dog said:
I went out last night and decided to have beers that I have never had before.

Hefe (Good stuff and at 4.00 a bottle I wish I had more than 1. Strange the bar I was in served them in wine glasses. Is this a style of beer or a brand?)

SN Bigfoot Stout (Drinking it reminded me of how bad it was drinking the beast when I was younger. Really disappointing I love SNPA)

Hoegarden (Good but I am not a big fan of wheat beers)

Young's Double Chocolate Stout. (Not bad beer but really chocolaty. Like you poured about an oz. of Hershey's chocolate in a stout beer. Reinforced my opinion that I haven't found a flavored beer I like)

The good news is I think my homebrew is better than at least 2 of them. Really 3 because I wouldn't make a wheat beer.

That bigfoot and double chocolate are two of my favorite beers. Are you sure you like stouts in general?

I really enjoy a good German hefe as well as Hoegaarden. The wine glass may have been a failed attempt at serving in the correct glassware (should've been more of a tulip-style glass).

I agree that SN Stout isn't all that great. I find it a bit harsh and overcarbonated when served from a bottle. However, I really enjoy Young's DC Stout. I could drink those all night!

I do like stout beer I have on oatmeal stout on tap right now. Must be that I got a bad Bigfoot it was a little skunky also tasted like 1/2 shot of CHEAP vodka was in it.
The Young's was a good beer but too much chocolate for my taste.

I love German Hefeweizen beers. They MUST be served in a proper glass like this one.

Tucher_glas_1.jpg

This is one of my favorite commercial German Hefe's BTW.

Tucher for the win! Their Pils is fantastic.

Yeah Weizens really must be served in a proper Weizenbierglaser. It really brings out the subtle flavors and head retention.

brewt00l said:
The bigfoot we get is a barley wine...are you guys getting a different brew?
Ya know, I was wondering why I got a little confused in reading the names of the beers. My comment (now edited) is on Sierra Nevada Stout. The Bigfoot name is indeed SN's barleywine that I've yet to try.

You're right...
"Bigfoot® Ale is an award-winning example of the traditional barleywine ale style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

“…Bigfoot® captures the imagination, and its character is as big as the name implies, with a huge hoppiness in its earthy aroma, a chewy palate, and a great depth of flavor.”

– Michael Jackson,
Michael Jackson’s Beer Companion"

You're right...
"Bigfoot® Ale is an award-winning example of the traditional barleywine ale style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

“…Bigfoot® captures the imagination, and its character is as big as the name implies, with a huge hoppiness in its earthy aroma, a chewy palate, and a great depth of flavor.”

– Michael Jackson,

I have never had a Barleywine before... I was thinking that I ordered beer.

Chris_Dog said:
You're right...

– Michael Jackson,

I have never had a Barleywine before... I was thinking that I ordered beer.

Barleywine is just a style of beer. Most often pushing the limits on high-gravity.

Berliner Kindl Weisse is the only weisse I know that is occasionally served in a glass that resembles a wine glass.

kindl.gif

Latest posts

Back