Critique this IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
03C0FBF2-5900-4CA8-8BB4-6B1891068660.png
just looking to get a classic ipa with firm bitterness and a good balance - appreciate your suggestions, esp with hop bill:

Re: the steep. I have plenty of simcoe and Amarillo, and quite a bit of others as well. But, I’m hesitant to push the IBUs too high and wonder if I should reduce the 60 min charge to make room for more steep hops...

You could reduce the bittering charge, By steep I am thinking that you are adding after flameout? Correct? If so they contribute a little to the bittering, but not much. If you lower the temperature to about 170 then do the Whirlpool/steep it will add less bitterness. I always try to keep IBU on the scale, but I have seen popular recipes where the scale was pegged at the high end.

You're recipe is fine. I agree that you need to increase your steep/hop stand amount. 2 Oz. each of Amarillo and Simcoe would be fine. Bring your temperature down to the 170 - 180 range before putting the hops in. Hold it at your chosen temp for 20 minutes after adding the hops.

Looks good!! I would even say you're being conservative with the hops. I make a heady topper clone that has well 100 IBU and its not overly bitter and very enjoyable.

Same as others. I'd probably use 8-12oz of hops, with the additional hops all going in the steeping and dry hop additions.

Steep below 170F and you shouldn't get any additional bitterness. I steep at 160.

I would lower the bittering charge to .5 oz Simcoe. I'd then make up the 22 BU points with whirlpool additions. Say 1.5 Amarillo and 1.5 Simcoe. I’d whirlpool hot right at knockout for 20 minutes to make sure I got the BU extraction.

To me the whirlpool or late hop additions offer a milder bittering bite and the bonus of hop aromas and flavors.

I would also throw in a 5 day dry hop charge of .5 Amarillo and .5 Simcoe, but I’m a hophead.

I would lower the bittering charge to .5 oz Simcoe. I'd then make up the 22 BU points with whirlpool additions. Say 1.5 Amarillo and 1.5 Simcoe. I’d whirlpool hot right at knockout for 20 minutes to make sure I got the BU extraction.

To me the whirlpool or late hop additions offer a milder bittering bite and the bonus of hop aromas and flavors.

I would also throw in a 5 day dry hop charge of .5 Amarillo and .5 Simcoe, but I’m a hophead.

Not much of a hop head. I would use an ounce of each and I am not a hophead. I have seen a lot that would use 4-6 ounces or more.

8608805A-2205-4B10-B1D6-F80D3FD4BEFD.png
Thanks for looking at this fellas! All great suggestions. I mean if you’re going to make an IPA why skimp on hops?

You went from 65 to 75 IBU. That will be a very hop forward beer. I like dry IPAs so to me it looks tasty! I'd brew it. If it is to hoppy and out of balance. I'd throw in a .5 # Carapils to bump up the body a tick or two. It looks like a very good start.

To me "hoppy" doesn't come from the level of IBU's it is more from flavor and aroma additions. A change from 65 to 75 is only going to be noticed if compared side by side by very discerning tasters. The balance in an IPA is ? Really hoppy IPA's are way out of balance in the standard sense.

Back