Critique my RIS recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFSbrew

Reaction score
I Just want to see what you guys think of this recipe-its my first brew.
5.5 lbs of breiss light dme
3.00 lbs of brewers best extra dark dme
.5 lbs Belgian carapils malt
.5 lbs roasted barley
.65 lbs black patent
1 oz summit hops 60 minutes
.5 oz nugget hops 60 minutes
.5 oz nugget hops 10 minutes
Whitelabs dry English ale yeast two liter starter
It's been fermenting for about 2 days now at 65-70 degrees and its been quite lively. I can't remember the specifics or sg since I am at work right now but I think the potential alcohol was at 10% and about 102 ibus. Thanks.

I don't have any experience with dark DME, but the rest of the recipe looks just fine. Normally I'd have added some mid-range crystal in there but I think that should be covered in your two varieties of DME. I think RIS can be more hoppy, but yours will probably still taste fine- the malt is going to be your big flavor driver here. Your gravity was probably in the 1.090s with a pot. alc reading of 10%.

Remember that there is more than one way to get bitterness into a beer, so try to take dark malts into account when figuring out how many IBU you want in your beer. This beer will probably need a good long conditioning period to really come together without being to harshly bitter or alcoholic.

Hey thanks a lot. I like my beer nice n hoppy but I didn't even think about the dark Malts adding more bitterness. I hope it doesn't come out too harsh in the beginning!

Latest posts

Back