Critique my brewstand design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebediahscooter

Reaction score
So I've been brewing on cobbled together wood platforms with a pump on a little stand for about two years, and I am in the planning stage of a new stand. Given that the vast majority of my beers are < 1.060, I am seriously considering going to a two-vessel, no-sparge setup to save some time and space. I might be moving this year, so no definite timeline on the build yet. At the earliest, I'll start in June once I know my plans (and I'm a teacher, so I'll have a lot of time on my hands). Here are my thoughts so far:

• 1.5" mild steel square tubing (never welded, but I just got a small wirefeed welder that I'm going to practice with)
  • Burners at both positions (will use to heat strike water to temps, mashout, possible stepped-mashes)
  • one pump
  • Brewers Hardware 1.5" RIMS tube with 240v/5500w element run for now on a normal household GFCI outlet for holding mash temps
  • control panel with PID from Auber, timer w/ alarm, & pump switch
  • 2 keggles (will convert current keggle HLT into mash tun with false bottom, top wort return; will add whirlpool return in BK)
  • fold-out side table for workspace and to hold cooler HLT when brewing higher gravity batches
  • attached bar to hang CFC
  • attached water filter (you can kind of see it in the sketchup, poking up in the back)

Basically, I'll either mash with the full water volume or mash normally and pump in a big mashout infusion heated in the BK to get to full volume before running back off into the BK. I'll recirculate through the RIMS for the duration of the mash.

From everything that I've read so far about no-sparge brewing, it's good for beers up to about 1.060, so on the couple of times a year that I brew a big stout or DIPA, the fold-out work-table will become a platform for a 10 gallon cooler HLT (my current mash tun). During the mash, I'll heat sparge water in the BK and pump it to the cooler HLT before the vorlauf and batch sparge.

I haven't fully worked out the design for the fold-out table aside from the fact that it will be a steel frame with a wood top. Not sure about how the legs will work so that it can fold in flush.

Thoughts?

Current Setup (there's a keggle HLT out of the shot, sitting on a platform/SQ-14 setup like the BK)
345yomv.jpg

Planned Setup
fda6q9.jpg

I think that the cups of beer next to the laptop is a recipe for disaster. I suggest a side table for the cups.

I think that the cups of beer next to the laptop is a recipe for disaster. I suggest a side table for the cups.

A fold-out side table for the side table! There's only one beer there...the solo cups are hop additions. Yeah, once I figured out the sketchup basics, I went a little nuts.

So, laptop safety aside, any thoughts? One concern that I had was running cables from the control panel to the RIMS tube past the BK burner. How hot do these stands get? Do people ever run their electronics cables through some sort of conduit for protection? I'll probably flip it so that the mash tun is on the right and the BK is on the left.

Latest posts

Back