Critique: Fruity IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaynik

Reaction score
Wanting to make something with a little fruity twist to suit my wife's palate. I don't want things too bitter, but I want plenty flavor and aroma to go with the malt. I have Palisade, Calypso, Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Warrior and Chinook on hand.

Brewer: Jay
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.76 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 47.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 76.9 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 15.4 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
1.00 oz Calypso [12.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 36.8 IBUs
0.75 oz Palisade [7.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 10.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [5.00 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Calypso [12.80 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -
1.00 oz Calypso [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Palisade [7.80 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs

Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook have some grapefruity characteristics to them if that's what you're going for.

Hop schedule is good but I think I'd change the 20 min addition to 15. Chinook is a good bittering hop too if you wanted to use that at 60min.

Thanks. I had my mind set on a cascade, chinook, ctz brew after this one. I love both cascade and chinook! I added a little cascade to this recipe to give me the grapefruit kind of flavor. I don't love centennial. It's a little perfumey to me, particularly for what I want from this brew. None of the other fruit hops on hand. I did a calypso pale ale last year that was good, so I guess I'm trying to showcase that fruit flavor. Palisade has an apricot kind of flavor that I thought would go well with the pear/apple of the calypso.

Bump. Trying to get some ideas on my grains and the hop combo. I've searched the forum and don't see anyone who has done this exact combo. Sounds interesting to me, but not sure if it's worth the risk... My backup plan is to brew edwort's haus pale ale and maybe add some palisade or calypso to flavoring addition.

jaynik said:
Bump. Trying to get some ideas on my grains and the hop combo. I've searched the forum and don't see anyone who has done this exact combo. Sounds interesting to me, but not sure if it's worth the risk... My backup plan is to brew edwort's haus pale ale and maybe add some palisade or calypso to flavoring addition.

What you have looks good. Similar to mine, but I use Munich instead of the Vienna, and I use a half pound each of caramunich 1 and 2.

In regards to your hopping schedule. Do just a 1oz addition of chinook, and then add a crap load of hops all within the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Munich for a little sweetness vs. the vienna for more orange color? Thanks for the input.

Why not both...this is pretty similar to my IIPA recipe and I use munich and vienna along with Cascade, centennial and columbus. VERY fruity, hoppy, etc.

I might suggest switching up the yeasts on this one to SafBrew S-33. I use it on my Belgian tripels and it adds quite a lot of fruity spice character to my beer. If you're looking for raisin/plum flavors, you might also try adding a little .25 lbs of Special-B. However, the lovi on that will make it darker (runs about 150 lovibond).

Thanks. I have a red on tap now using special B that is really good, but I'm wanting this to be lighter in color and body so it's good when it starts being warm out...

Decided to scale this back some and adjust the hop schedule. Going for 3 gals in the keg in case it's not so popular and so it will stay fresh while I drink it.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.68 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.68 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 10.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 47.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 77.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.1 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.6 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 5.6 %
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 60. Hop 5 44.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Palisade [7.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 3.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Calypso [12.80 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Calypso [12.80 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Palisade [7.80 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.6 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -
0.75 oz Calypso [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Palisade [7.80 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Finally brewed this today. Got about 72% via biab. Great double crush by my lhbs. Annapolis home brew supply. Very cloudy wort. Can't wait to see it clear. Planning a 3 week primary with a few days dry hop with the idea being it will be ready by memorial day.

so, how is/was it? I've heard that the palisade/calypso combination makes a unique, and tasty ipa. :mug:

Back