Crisco for kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Hi,

This will be my first time kegging a 5 gallon batch of brew, but I have no food grade lubricant to make sure that everything get's sealed correctly. I was wondering if crisco could be used as a substitute? The thing is a friend told me it might work, but I have no idea... hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question :p

The lubricant's not really for sealing...it's for maintaining the shelf life of the rubber seals. It keeps the rubber from drying out prematurely.

However, it does lubricate so anything that slides over the rubber, i.e., QD, will/should be easier for off/on tasks.

I think crisco is probably a better bet than any of the products mentioned. What you want (IMO) is a non-water soluble lubricant that's safe in food: Crisco.

What do I know?

Please don't use Crisco.

You can get mineral oil at any grocery or drug store. Look on a tube of Keg Lube and you'll see that the main (only) ingredient in Keg Lube is MINERAL OIL. It's just gellied for easier application.

Besides, Crisco spoils over time so good luck getting spoiled aroma out of your o-rings.

I think crisco is probably a better bet than any of the products mentioned. What you want (IMO) is a non-water soluble lubricant that's safe in food: Crisco.

What do I know?

Mineral oil is safe for food- it's what I use to lubricate my gears and cutters on my meat grinder. That's what keg lube is made from. Crisco might leave some undesired residue, so I'd stay away from it.

You probably don't even need it, so maybe try it without any lube at first. Then get some with your next purchase.

Mineral oil is safe for food- it's what I use to lubricate my gears and cutters on my meat grinder. That's what keg lube is made from. Crisco might leave some undesired residue, so I'd stay away from it.

You probably don't even need it, so maybe try it without any lube at first. Then get some with your next purchase.

Crisco is also a solid at serving temps, probably a disadvantage.

I believe that KY is used for medical purposes as well... such as inserting airways in one's throat and the like. I would not hesitate to use it on an o-ring... it's such a minimal amount to begin with.

Then again, back when I worked with vacuum systems, I learned that slathering an assload of "guinea grease" on a o-ring was a piss-poor substitute for making sure the system was sealed properly.

The ideal stuff is plumbers silicone faucet lubricant, available at any hardware store. This stuff is designed to lubricate the O-rings in a faucet assembly. You definitely don't want water soluble, as that would just end up in you beer and kill your head. As would regular mineral oil - this stuff is too thin and would spread all over everything. It will work, but should be used in only the smallest amount.

If you use the KY, would you use the kind with the warming sensation? I mean, just to get a better "mouth feel"? - Dwain

The ideal stuff is plumbers silicone faucet lubricant, available at any hardware store. This stuff is designed to lubricate the O-rings in a faucet assembly. You definitely don't want water soluble, as that would just end up in you beer and kill your head. As would regular mineral oil - this stuff is too thin and would spread all over everything. It will work, but should be used in only the smallest amount.
+1. I think it runs for 1.50 or 2.00 at Lowes.

Every time I see a thread like this, I just have to wonder what is so hard or unpleasant in purchasing a $2.50-$3.00 tube of keg lube, that will likely last you for 10 years?

Granted there is really not a difference in faucet lube and keg lube, but how and why is the first thought to use something else, rather than to get the actual stuff you are supposed to use? :confused:

http://www.brewersdiscount.com/item153481.ctlg

Every time I see a thread like this, I just have to wonder what is so hard or unpleasant in purchasing a $2.50-$3.00 tube of keg lube, that will likely last you for 10 years?

Granted there is really not a difference in faucet lube and keg lube, but how and why is the first thought to use something else, rather than to get the actual stuff you are supposed to use? :confused:

Keg Lub-Petrol Gel Food Grade 4 Oz.

It seems most of these threads start out with:

"I forgot to order keg lube and have my first batch racking into the keg now..."

I did my homework before i ordered my kegging stuff, and included 2 spare sets of keg orings, and 4oz of keglube in my order..... Seems that alot of people miss that step.

Eucerin Aquaphor Advanced Healing.

50/50 Mineral & Petrolatum.

FDA Approved.

Non toxic if ingested (as per every MSDS I have looked at).

Tasteless and Odorless (personal experience)

Approved for use on Infants.

And available in pratically EVERY store that carries any amount of cosmetics or infant products.

I have a tub of keg lube that I bought when I got all my kegging equipment. I actually haven't used it in about a year and have had no leaks.

you might be fine to go without and then just get it next time you order. /shrug

i bought keg lube. i have never used it. its in the basement, and the keezer isnt. so its never right where i need it.

i usually spray the posts of the keg and the connections with star san before i connect them. thats enough lube to have them go on and off easily

Hi,

To answer why I don't just buy keg lube on line; it's because the shipping cost is a b@%#h. The cheapest I could get would probably be at northernbrewer.com because of the 7.99 shipping (everywhere else is about 10 dollars), but still, it is quite expensive when the tube itself cost less than the shipping. So I don't want to buy it untill I order something else online. I was going to buy it when I got my kegs, but I completely forgot. I really don't know of any places that sell this stuff near by, and I'm ready to keg my beer.

oto the store and get either ky jelly or mineral oil.

I got a Target near by, and they have KY jelly. Would this work just as well as any food grade lubricant? Just want to make sure before I purchase. The lub itself was less than 5 dollars, but then they have different kinds.

Thanks for all the replies ^^

Hi,

To answer why I don't just buy keg lube on line; it's because the shipping cost is a b@%#h. The cheapest I could get would probably be at northernbrewer.com because of the 7.99 shipping (everywhere else is about 10 dollars), but still, it is quite expensive when the tube itself cost less than the shipping. So I don't want to buy it untill I order something else online. I was going to buy it when I got my kegs, but I completely forgot. I really don't know of any places that sell this stuff near by, and I'm ready to keg my beer.

I got a Target near by, and they have KY jelly. Would this work just as well as any food grade lubricant? Just want to make sure before I purchase. The lub itself was less than 5 dollars, but then they have different kinds.

Thanks for all the replies ^^

I didn't buy keg lube right away either, and you may not even need it. It does keep the o-rings in better shape, but you're not going to put too much wear and tear on the o-rings before you place another order. I'd go without it, and see how it works. I use it now most of the time, because I have it. But I don't always use it if the o-rings look great and I'm too lazy to go find it.

I didn't buy keg lube right away either, and you may not even need it. It does keep the o-rings in better shape, but you're not going to put too much wear and tear on the o-rings before you place another order. I'd go without it, and see how it works. I use it now most of the time, because I have it. But I don't always use it if the o-rings look great and I'm too lazy to go find it.

O ok. So I can go by without using keg lube for a while and not worry about it? I was a bit worried because I thought it helped seal the keg, but from what I have read it seems its not much of an issue.

O ok. So I can go by without using keg lube for a while and not worry about it? I was a bit worried because I thought it helped seal the keg, but from what I have read it seems its not much of an issue.

Well, it can help seal the keg. But it's not really a cure for a leaky keg. If the keg is leaking, keg lube won't help you much. It does help hold the big 0-ring in place better. I still get leaks if I don't seat the lid right, keg lube or no.

Well, it can help seal the keg. But it's not really a cure for a leaky keg. If the keg is leaking, keg lube won't help you much. It does help hold the big 0-ring in place better. I still get leaks if I don't seat the lid right, keg lube or no.

Ok, thanks a lot for the info! I will go ahead and keg then, and get the lube later. I got my kegs off of kegconnection.com so they have been reconditioned and are supposed to be in good condition. This is my first time kegging, so I just don't want to screw it up :p However, I'm exited and thirsty for a home brew!

Ok, thanks a lot for the info! I will go ahead and keg then, and get the lube later. I got my kegs off of kegconnection.com so they have been reconditioned and are supposed to be in good condition. This is my first time kegging, so I just don't want to screw it up :p However, I'm exited and thirsty for a home brew!

I got my kegging setup from kegconnection, too- and it worked perfectly right out of the box with no leaks!

Here is an alternative to Keg lube I use.
Government approved poison:D

100_5380.jpg

CIPFilm.jpg

100_5383.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

BTW: one more question.

What size wrench do you need for a cornie keg? I have some pliers but they don't work that good at tightening the posts (I think that's the word I'm going for). I'm guessing I need to disassemble the keg in order to clean and disinfect it properly.

BTW: one more question.

What size wrench do you need for a cornie keg? I have some pliers but they don't work that good at tightening the posts (I think that's the word I'm going for). I'm guessing I need to disassemble the keg in order to clean and disinfect it properly.
Craftsmen.

7/8ths or 11/16ths. They'll fit the normal hex or the star shaped posts.

post3.jpg

Craftsmen.

7/8ths or 11/16ths. They'll fit the normal hex or the star shaped posts.

Thanks, I will look into getting one of does.

Also, how much CO2 is supposed to fit inside a 5# CO2 tank? The reason I ask this is because I am at my dads house in Mexico, and I went to get my tank filled, and the guy there seemed not to be sure how much CO2 could fit in the tank since he is used to just filling really big tanks apparently. I told him it was a 5# tank, and he put 2.5 Kilograms of gas in it. I'm guessing that it holds 5# of gas in weight? Thus, that would be about 2.3 kg.

google is your friend

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=5lbs+to+kg&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a]5lbs to kg - Google Search[/ame]

Back