Crimps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
What's the general practice for stranded wire hookups? It seems like a lot of European regs call for crimps on stranded wire that goes into terminals, but not in the U.S. Does anyone else use crimps on the end of their stranded wire? I'm getting ready to assemble the cords for my elements using L6-30 twist-lock plugs. Maybe something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOJX846/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the general practice for stranded wire hookups? It seems like a lot of European regs call for crimps on stranded wire that goes into terminals, but not in the U.S. Does anyone else use crimps on the end of their stranded wire? I'm getting ready to assemble the cords for my elements using L6-30 twist-lock plugs. Maybe something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOJX846/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'd have to hire another guy it we had to crimp all our stranded connections. Do you have the plugs yet? It should say right on them or at least the instructions if the terminals are rated for stranded. I've never yet seen a cord connector that wasn't.

I'd have to hire another guy it we had to crimp all our stranded connections. Do you have the plugs yet? It should say right on them or at least the instructions if the terminals are rated for stranded. I've never yet seen a cord connector that wasn't.

I've never seen them done either, but some machinery I've worked on from Europe had all the stranded wire at a terminal blocks crimped. Thanks.

I'll finish putting my cords together now.

I've never seen them done either, but some machinery I've worked on from Europe had all the stranded wire at a terminal blocks crimped. Thanks.

I'll finish putting my cords together now.

Were there also labels/tags on those crimps? May have been crimped more for cable ID rather than needing it.

I prefer to use ferrules, they provide a cleaner assembly, give you a protective cover over the transition point between the stripped wire and insulation, and makes it easy to detect stray wires that can cause problems. The last is particularly of use when trying to feed a wire into a tight terminal where it is very hard to see if you got all the strands into the terminal. As well other benefits:

http://www.weidmuller.com/93969/News/Press-Releases/Wire-End-Ferrules/cw_index_v2.aspx

I prefer to use ferrules, they provide a cleaner assembly, give you a protective cover over the transition point between the stripped wire and insulation, and makes it easy to detect stray wires that can cause problems. The last is particularly of use when trying to feed a wire into a tight terminal where it is very hard to see if you got all the strands into the terminal. As well other benefits:

http://www.weidmuller.com/93969/News/Press-Releases/Wire-End-Ferrules/cw_index_v2.aspx

Yeah, I figured out they don't leave much room in the connector when you put the back she'll on. I probably will end up taking it apart, crimping it, and trying again.

Yeah, I figured out they don't leave much room in the connector when you put the back she'll on. I probably will end up taking it apart, crimping it, and trying again.

Good idea, just a more reliable connection method. Make sure to buy a quality set of crimpers, if there is too much resistance due to a bad crimp things get hot....I know from personal experience, I melted a wire due to a bad crimp. After that experience I went in, cut out all my terminals and replaced them with a quality crimping tool.

I've got Greenlee wire ferrule crimpers and Ideal ring terminal crimpers. Same stuff I use at work on planes.

At work they use ferrules in all of the electrical panel wiring on our machines. You get a better connection with most screw terminals.
I got a retired 16x16x8 panel last week for building my panel and every wire has ferrules.

At work they use ferrules in all of the electrical panel wiring on our machines. You get a better connection with most screw terminals.
I got a retired 16x16x8 panel last week for building my panel and every wire has ferrules.

Lucky on the panel. Is there a particular orientation you align the fertile up to the screw? What I'm trying to and likely doing poorly at... Do you put the wider or shorter part of the trapezoid against the screw?

Not sure that would matter, it should get good contact either way. My crimper is six sided.

Lucky on the panel. Is there a particular orientation you align the fertile up to the screw? What I'm trying to and likely doing poorly at... Do you put the wider or shorter part of the trapezoid against the screw?

Latest posts

Back