Creating a whirlpool vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billr1

Reaction score
We're using a three keggle eHERMS system. In an effort to maximize yield, I built it so that the diptube in the boil kettle draws from the little concave section in the center of the bottom of the keg. This unfortunately precludes us from whirl-pooling (all the hop gunk builds up right on top of the diptube and tends to clog it). So I was thinking of adding a 4th vessel to use for whirl-pooling. I already have a couple of 10-gallon kettles and I figured I could install a ball valve (with a diptube that draws from near the side wall rather than the center of the bottom) on one of these and use it for this purpose.

My question is this: when I'm filling this vessel from the boil kettle, if I direct the wort sideways along the inner wall of the whirlpool kettle, will that create a sufficient whirlpool to draw most of the hops and other gunk to the center of the kettle? Or will I probably need to help it along by stirring in a circle? Does anybody have any experience with anything like this?

To answer your question, if you are not using a pump I would think you need to stir to have and keep a whirlpool going. Plus you will need it to whirlpool for some time to get all the trub to the center.

My 0.02 cents, I guess I don't understand the point of a 4th vessel. I use a 3 keggle eHERMS system as well and draw my BK from near the side. I found a happy medium between most of my beers where mostly just trub and hop debri is left behind without much liquid. If I had to guess maybe a 0.25 gallon with a lightly hopped beer? Basically none with a highly hopped one. If it were me, I would just change the dip tube in the BK.

I use a false bottom and whirlpool right in my bk. My dip tub draws from the center of the keg. Its been working well for both whole hops and pellet. Actually I'm pretty shocked about how well it works with pellet hops.

Thanks for the quick responses. I actually have a false bottom in my BK too Dolomieu (albeit a really cheap little one). It definitely helps but I still get a goodly amount of crud going through the CFC into the fermenter.
Homebrew57 I may go that route. Shortening the diptube would be easy and I really wouldn't be sacrificing much wort left on the bottom of the vessel. On the other hand, having the double-cleaning of the false bottom in the Bk and the whirlpool in the other vessel might be nice (I'm kind getting to that point in my brewing where I start getting ridiculously anal about everything :D). By the way I do use a pump so that might do the trick.
Anyway, I may give it a try and treat it as an experiment. Worst case scenario, it doesn't help any and I wind up with a valve in my spare kettle that wasn't there before.

Mine is a 15in with a small stand. When I whirlpool I also use the CFC at the same time. Its how I'm experimenting with hop stands. Cold break (not that it concerns me) ends up left behind and help filter stuff out (kinda like a grain bed but with hops and protein junk)

Back