Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did this with
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Flaked Rice (1.0 SRM)

.75 oz Willamette [5.20%] WHOLE LEAF(60 min)
.75 oz Crystal [3.50%] WHOLE LEAF(60 min)

but I used wyeast 1728 Scottish ale yeast at 55 degrees the whole way through.

it's bottled and just started to carb up. I'll attach a pic, has good drinkable flavor...

Thanks for the recipe!

IMG_20170116_172445.jpg

I've been meaning to brew this for years. Just hadn't had a good reason too.

I finally brewed this 2days ago for my diaper party in a month. I tried to stay as close as I could to the original recipe but ended up going 1.75lbs Minute Rice and 1lbs Flaked Maize and used Nugget to bitter. Like many others, just adjusted to what I had at the house. I also used RO water and treated to "American Lager" specs in Bru'n Water. (It's not a lager, used US-05 @66-68F. Just figured that was the closest to what water profile I should use)

It's currently fermenting away. My plan is to keg it once it hits terminal gravity and cold condition it until the party (~2-3wks).

I've been meaning to brew this for years. Just hadn't had a good reason too.

I finally brewed this 2days ago for my diaper party in a month. I tried to stay as close as I could to the original recipe but ended up going 1.75lbs Minute Rice and 1lbs Flaked Maize and used Nugget to bitter. Like many others, just adjusted to what I had at the house. I also used RO water and treated to "American Lager" specs in Bru'n Water. (It's not a lager, used US-05 @66-68F. Just figured that was the closest to what water profile I should use)

It's currently fermenting away. My plan is to keg it once it hits terminal gravity and cold condition it until the party (~2-3wks).

I think that will turn out great. One interesting thing about this recipe is people deviate from it a bit here, a bit there, and it still turns out. The next time I do it I'm going to reduce the corn a bit--I'm not completely in love w/ corn flavor, but that said, it's still a very drinkable beer.

Those who use US-05, how long is yours going? Mines been two weeks and bubbling. Gravity dropped less than 1 point over the past 4 days. 05 doesn't usually go this slow for me... Is it ready to bottle? I don't normally rush beers but my fermentation room/guest bedroom will have a guest in it next week and the only other place I can leave the carboy has great big windows w no covering...
I could let it go as long as Thursday before I have to bottle or move it.

Those who use US-05, how long is yours going? Mines been two weeks and bubbling. Gravity dropped less than 1 point over the past 4 days. 05 doesn't usually go this slow for me... Is it ready to bottle? I don't normally rush beers but my fermentation room/guest bedroom will have a guest in it next week and the only other place I can leave the carboy has great big windows w no covering...
I could let it go as long as Thursday before I have to bottle or move it.

Put a tee-shirt or sweat shirt over the carboy to keep out the light, or drape it with a baby blanket. Or put a cardboard box over it. Or... (you get the idea) :)

Put a tee-shirt or sweat shirt over the carboy to keep out the light, or drape it with a baby blanket. Or put a cardboard box over it. Or... (you get the idea) :)

Ended up doing a big bag over the carboy.
My other concern is that it's new location is 5-10 degrees cooler, just under 60 degrees. It seems like fermentation is done though so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!

I plan on brewing this recipe this weekend for my first all grain batch. I just downloaded the trial version of Beersmith but I'm having trouble trying to figure out my water volumes and temps. I only have a 9 gallon brew kettle so I wanted to aim for a batch in the 5-6 gallon range. I've halved the recipe to 6 lb. 2-row, 1 lb corn and 0.5 lb rice (and I'm thinking about throwing in 0.25 lb crystal 40L, bad idea?). Anyway, I know the mash should be done at 152 F but what temp should I aim for on the sparge? And how much water should I use to sparge? If it makes a difference, I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with a false bottom for my MLT. Thanks for any help!

I am searching for a nice drinkable beer and came across this thread for cream of three crops from https://www.homebrewtalk.com/homebrewtalk-top-homebrew-recipes-24-1.html . Your beer caramel amber ale is featured in that link as well. Funny that you used this as your first all grain batch and are now creating great beers yourself. Good Job!

I brewed up 10 gallons of this up this weekend as a BIAB. OG came out right at 1.046. Looking forward to seeing what all of the fuss is about.

Gonzo, I am trying to search this thread for input, but it is too large to look through manually and haven't been successful on the "Search" function. Because you did this BIAB, did you add the rice hulls? My understanding there is not gravity (OG or sugar) benefit from them and it's only for the tradition mashing to keep from getting a stuck sparge.

Gonzo, I am trying to search this thread for input, but it is too large to look through manually and haven't been successful on the "Search" function. Because you did this BIAB, did you add the rice hulls? My understanding there is not gravity (OG or sugar) benefit from them and it's only for the tradition mashing to keep from getting a stuck sparge.

Also, I upped the grain a bit to make sure I hit the expected OG. Wound up at 1050 because of boil off.

If you add rice hulls, even with BIAB, you do get better yield, without hanging bag as long.

LOL, it's the men's version of a baby shower. Men cut out all the nonsense. Beer. Food. Diapers. That's it.

Yup. I had plenty of bbq and beer on tap for our diaper party. Daughter is 8 months old today and I've only bought 2 cases of diapers for her so far. Diaper parties are the way to go.

Just started the mash for this one, and have two other recipes to brew today. Have a good brewing Sunday yall!

I just brewed up a batch of this yesterday, pretty excited, it was my 3rd all grain.
Did a 5 gal batch
6lbs 2 row
2lbs flaked corn
1lb minute rice
1 oz Willamette
Us-05
Pretty much to the original recipe, and went really well, but hit 1.050.
My question is about clearing it up, I use a fast fermenter, and also plan on using gelatin for the first time and try to get it even clearer. But, I use bottles, if you clear it up too much will it be hard to get it to carb in the bottles? Even when really clear is there still enough left over suspended yeast to help?
Maybe this question would be better for a different section....
Matt

I just brewed up a batch of this yesterday, pretty excited, it was my 3rd all grain.

Did a 5 gal batch

6lbs 2 row

2lbs flaked corn

1lb minute rice

1 oz Willamette

Us-05

Pretty much to the original recipe, and went really well, but hit 1.050.

My question is about clearing it up, I use a fast fermenter, and also plan on using gelatin for the first time and try to get it even clearer. But, I use bottles, if you clear it up too much will it be hard to get it to carb in the bottles? Even when really clear is there still enough left over suspended yeast to help?

Maybe this question would be better for a different section....

Matt

Really, I find that the only difference gelatine provides with bottling is less Yeast and sediment going to the bottles overall. I mean, I guess with less Yeast it may or may not clear faster once into the fridge, but still. There will be more than enough Yeast leftover to carbonate the bottles. Non issue.

My question is about clearing it up...I also plan on using gelatin for the first time and try to get it even clearer.

I've made this a few times w/o gelatin, Irish Moss, or any type of fining agent at all. It really is amazing how clear this recipe gets all on its own.

I ALWAYS struggle to get this beer clear. LOL NOT!

This is ABSOLUTELY the easiest and fastest clearer~! I do use Irish Moss as I do in just about everything I make but MAN does this beer clear well!

Its funny! The picture is fuzzy but the beer is clear..LOL

Cheers
Jay

ClearBeer.jpg

I'm thinking of brewing this beer soon, I've been promising my wife that I will brew something for her and this looks perfect! I have a few questions about changing up the recipe to be able to brew with what I have on hand right now. Anyone see anything wrong with this recipe?

6# Maris Otter
1.5# instant grits
1.5# minute rice
.75oz Hallertauer
US-05

Also, when plugging this in to bru'n water what is the best water profile to shoot for?

Thanks

I'm thinking of brewing this beer soon, I've been promising my wife that I will brew something for her and this looks perfect! I have a few questions about changing up the recipe to be able to brew with what I have on hand right now. Anyone see anything wrong with this recipe?

6# Maris Otter
1.5# instant grits
1.5# minute rice
.75oz Hallertauer
US-05

Also, when plugging this in to bru'n water what is the best water profile to shoot for?

Thanks

Right or wrong, i used the american lager profile in bru'n water.

It turned out really good. It didn't ferment down quite as low as i would of expected (1.015), so there was a tad bit of residual sweetness.

The funny part is, I brewed this specifically for the diaper party, expecting people to drink tons of it. They kicked my keg of Dorado XPA and it was the only thing people talked about.

I was thinking either the American lager or the yellow dry. I wasn't sure which would be better. Thanks for the input!

What mash PH did you shoot for, around 5.3?

My 10 gallons are conditioned and tasty. The 05 batch is a good clean beer, easy drinking. The T58 batch is outstanding! That yeast in this beer is just amazing. Not an American Cream Ale anymore, but a damn good beer. 05 batch finished at 1006 or so, 5.78% ABV, the T58 finished at 1004, 6.04% ABV.

I was thinking either the American lager or the yellow dry. I wasn't sure which would be better. Thanks for the input!

What mash PH did you shoot for, around 5.3?

Yes, pH of 5.3 using the American Lager profile in bru'n water.

I'm thinking this could be a cool base for a Luponic Distortion style brew.. I have some new hops coming I think I'll experiment.. been craving something light

I talked to a BJCP judge today and it said I was going to add either Belma, Mandarina Bavaria or Hallertau Blanc to this and he said in his last competition at the best of show table they had a cream ale and wanted it to have some esters from the yeast or some citrusy hops and it would have taken BoS

I brewed this up (10gal) using hallertau and palisade hops, turned out great with notty.

Gonna try 05 next, .50 less corn from 2 lbs and just a 1hop brew.

Brewed up a 10g batch 2 weeks back. Added Vienna for body and flavor, Sterling for hops. OG was 1.058. I split the batch between 2 buckets, US05 on one and W34/70 on the other.

Kegged the ale today. FG was 1.006, making for a 6.4% cream ale. Taste was fantastic.

Really excited to see how the lager turns out!

I talked to a BJCP judge today and it said I was going to add either Belma, Mandarina Bavaria or Hallertau Blanc to this and he said in his last competition at the best of show table they had a cream ale and wanted it to have some esters from the yeast or some citrusy hops and it would have taken BoS

While I'm not sure if esters or noticable hops are really in line w a traditional American Cream Ale, it is a good base to experiment with. When I brewed my 11 gallons awhile back, I did 5gallons with 05, 5gallons w T58, and 1.25 gallons with sage and 05.

I pulled off 5qt of the beer after the boil, preferment and boiled about 1/3 oz fresh sage, leaves and stems, for 5 min and fermented that with 05 in my old Mr beer. Very cloudy and over carbed but pretty dang tasty. Had one with lunch yesterday!

IMG_20170309_092811518.jpg

I just can't keep this beer on tap! I've blown through three kegs of this, the last one only lasted me two weeks (that I was home for) and a party.
I used nugget last time and enjoyed the lemon flavor that I perceived and am looking forward to cranking out another batch of this tomorrow. Have to see what hops I have on hand to use for this one!

While I'm not sure if esters or noticable hops are really in line w a traditional American Cream Ale, it is a good base to experiment with. When I brewed my 11 gallons awhile back, I did 5gallons with 05, 5gallons w T58, and 1.25 gallons with sage and 05.

I pulled off 5qt of the beer after the boil, preferment and boiled about 1/3 oz fresh sage, leaves and stems, for 5 min and fermented that with 05 in my old Mr beer. Very cloudy and over carbed but pretty dang tasty. Had one with lunch yesterday!

Yeah the exact words were "without any of that it's just a cream ale" I suppose not tradition in the modern style but historically cream ales had bitterness around 20-30IBU and were even dry hopped sometimes. Definitely a good base I picked up my flaked corn the other day and as for minute rice does anyone have a particular brand they use? I forgot to pick up flaked rice and figured trip to grocery store is easier

Back