Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time doing an all grain recipe (biab) with partial sparge, but here's what I ended up doing.

5 gal batch
6.1 lbs two row - over measure at the store, figured it wouldn't hurt too much
2.5 lbs corn
1.0 lbs minute rice

1.00 oz Willamette (60 min)
1.00 oz Crystal (60 min)
Had a small amount of cascade left from my last batch.. decided to throw it in.
0.25 oz Cascade (60 min)
0.25 oz Cascade (10 min)

Whitelabs cream ale yeast with a yeast starter that I made yesterday.

Pre-boil/post mash was 1.32 - mashed with about 6 gallons, sparged with 1 gallon soak for about 20 minutes and then squeezed it like crazy
Post-boil was 1.46-1.48 was hard to tell which line

Ended up with about 5.8 gallons, so had to dump a little bit, couldn't fit it all in my carboy.

Have it fermenting in my fermentation chamber at 68 degrees, after about 7 hours it's already starting to do some bubbling, can't wait to try it. It tasted delicious both after the mash and after boil.

Trying to figure out how to calculate mash and BH efficiency, have never done that before.

I hope you left room for the krausen!

I hope you left room for the krausen!
Definitely did I think! beer.jpg

Trying this for the second time. I liked the first one but I thought I might change it up just a little this time around to try and add just a hint of citrus. It'll also be my first time kegging so fingers crossed that'll work out well for me. Here's what I went with:

5lbs. 2 row
1lb. Marris Otter
1½lbs. flaked corn
½lb. Minute Rice

1oz Willamette (3.5 AA) 60 min.
¼oz Magnum (11.8 AA) 60 min.
1oz Amarillo Dry Hop 5 days

White Labs 80 Cream Ale Yeast (1L starter)

Racked onto 3oz-4oz Blood Orange syrup in the keg

There has got to be a more innocuous yeast for this recipe..wait a minute..what we are trying to do here is get lager cleanliness from an ale yeast...could this be an exercise in futility? I can taste the sweet beer taste no doubt but the overpowering "clove" taste of yeast is really off-putting. I would like a "cold-n-gold" recipe but, for me, US-05 has got to go. I may drain this batch. Suggestions considered.

There has got to be a more innocuous yeast for this recipe..wait a minute..what we are trying to do here is get lager cleanliness from an ale yeast...could this be an exercise in futility? I can taste the sweet beer taste no doubt but the overpowering "clove" taste of yeast is really off-putting. I would like a "cold-n-gold" recipe but, for me, US-05 has got to go. I may drain this batch. Suggestions considered.

Hmmm.....I don't taste clove at all in mine. Was yours fermented at lower temps or did you get it into the 70s?

Another yeast that might be worth a try is Wyeast2112 or WL810. California Lager.

34/70 fermented at 68 will get you there. Heck even at 72 it will get you there.

1 lbs vennia grain works really good for a change up, just adjust your recipe accordingly.
lemon peel works too, reminds me of corona,

Clove? Never had clove from us-05. It's always clean for me at 65-70 (but better under 68).

Looking for a little help with this recipe. I brewed the original version a couple of years ago. I've been rereading this thread and was about to brew it again adding Vienna to the bill. Just went to my lhbs and they were almost out of flaked corn, had just shy of 0.5 lb. I bumped up the amount of flaked rice a little, just not sure if I have what I need. Here is what I have:

5.5 gal batch
7# 2 Row
0.5# Vienna
0.45# Flaked Corn
1.75# Flaked Rice

0.5 oz Mt. Hood @ 60
0.5 oz Willamette @ 60
0.5 oz Willamette @ 10

Should I just work with what I have? Too much rice? Need more corn or just try adding some sugar?

Planning to brew tomorrow AM. Thanks!

So I am brewing this as I type. So my recipe looks like this.
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: cream of 3 crops

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.029
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.22%
IBU (tinseth): 18.65
SRM (morey): 2.82

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (61.5%)
1.25 lb - Flaked Corn (25.6%)
10 oz - Flaked Rice (12.8%)

HOPS:
0.35 oz - summer, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.8, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 18.65
0.15 oz - summer, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 5.8, Use: Aroma for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 152 F, Time: 90 min

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Any thoughts of dry hopping with some of the summer hops I have left?

So I am about to brew this, just got the cereal mash going for the cornmeal... and now I just realized I have a big bag of Vienna not 2-row. I actually have no 2-row. Would this still turn out ok using mainly Vienna and maybe a bit of pilsner??? Help lol!

So I am about to brew this, just got the cereal mash going for the cornmeal... and now I just realized I have a big bag of Vienna not 2-row. I actually have no 2-row. Would this still turn out ok using mainly Vienna and maybe a bit of pilsner??? Help lol!

A few people have used Vienna in place of two row with great results I believe.

Does minute rice and flaked rice have the same properties? Basically, can i use flaked rice in beersmith and get the same results?

Kegged mine Tuesday and I'm excited to get it carbonated. Not too many times have I drank the whole hydrometer sample. It's good!

Just bottled my first batch of this. Samples taste pretty good. My question is on abv%. I hit my post boil numbers. 1.042 and 5.5 gallons. I used op recipie and mash temp. Fermented at 68 in a controlled ferm chamber for 2 1/2 weeks before cold crashing, gelitan, and bottling. My Fg was 1.012. I couldn't get to 1.005 like the op. Don't know why. Beersmith gives me an abv of 3.9%. Is this what everybody else is getting? I see a lot of posts of ppl getting gf 7%.

Did I do something wrong?

The beer should come out in the 4-4.5% abv, based on the original recipe. I went fairly close to the original recipe but modified for a 6 gallon batch and I came out at 4.6%. What yeast did you use?

I brewed up 10 gallons of this up this weekend as a BIAB. OG came out right at 1.046. Looking forward to seeing what all of the fuss is about.

I made this with us_04 and just tried it last night. Turned out pretty good and the swmbo liked it a lot. She said it tasted a lot like NG Spotted Cow.

So this was the first beer I did in my new Conical. I ended up a tad high 1.052 OG (forgot to set beer smith to 85%) so I added a gallon of water and ended up at 13 gallons :)

Amazing beer! From pitching to serving I went about 20 days. Beer was CRYSTAL clear! SWMBO and all her friends have BEGGED me to brew it again...So...... 2 nights ago yet another batch started fermenting! Made a few little changes to my original and hit all the numbers spot on. I did add an OZ of Hallertau at flame out (11 gallon batch) to help bring up the nose just a tad. I'll report back with how that works out.

WELL DONE Muncher!

Cheers
Jay

Creamale.jpg

This was pulled for my hydrometer sample from batch #2. I guess clear beer comes from clear wort. SERIOUS break material! I set this on the counter overnight and by morning it was amazingly clear and all the break was like a rock in the bottom of the glass.

Cheers
Jay

CreamWORT.jpg

Anyone tried this an imperial? I'm thinking of the ten gallon recipe but only doing 7 gallons or so. Is that crazy? That should put the OG around 1070, I think...
US04 starter or 05 yeast cake, ferment in my basement.
Maybe rack one gallon onto raspberries in the secondary for SWMBO...

Brewed 10 gallons last night. Used 1oz crystal 3.3AA and 2 oz mittelfruh 2.5 AA because I ordered the wrong hops...
Half with US-05 and half with T-58, Belgian strain "selected for its esthery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development."
Never tried it, could be interesting!
OG 1050

Back