Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...... So one bucket stalled and I'm not seeing any bubble and bucket pressure is nada. Other bucket Is bubbling along. Not opened either but I did move them to the fermentation chamber set to 18.4C. Do I need to do Nything to revive the activity or am I better living it alone?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

OK...... So one bucket stalled and I'm not seeing any bubble and bucket pressure is nada. Other bucket Is bubbling along. Not opened either but I did move them to the fermentation chamber set to 18.4C. Do I need to do Nything to revive the activity or am I better living it alone?

Was this a split batch? did you use one packet of yeast per bucket? Is the lid on tight on #2? both aeriated the same way? How long did it bubble for?

I would take a gravity reading after 4 days, Ive had them finished at day 4..

Just finished my third batch of this recipe. It is consistent in its quality. My BMC drinking friends like it... A lot.

Was this a split batch? did you use one packet of yeast per bucket? Is the lid on tight on #2? both aeriated the same way? How long did it bubble for?

They were back to back batches totally separate except equipment. Each had their own yeast packet and aeriated the same. Og is batch 1= 1.05 and 2= 1.04.
Batch two is still bubbling. I will check where they are at tomorrow . Just didn't want to open if not necessary.

They were back to back batches totally separate except equipment. Each had their own yeast packet and aeriated the same. Og is batch 1= 1.05 and 2= 1.04.
Batch two is still bubbling. I will check where they are at tomorrow . Just didn't want to open if not necessary.

I made a batch of CO3C plus 1 on January 9th.

4 lbs 2 row
1 lb grits
1 lb Minute Rice
1 lb flaked rye
1/2 Carapils
.63 oz Willamet (60 min)
Good Ol Nottingham!

I only got a S.G. Of 1.040, so my mash (I believe) didn't convert everything, although my iodine test was good. My mash lasted 30 min @135 and then 3 more hours at 146. Ph of 4.9. Good long 90 min boil.

It's been in primary at 62 for a week now and I'm gonna run it for 2 more and keg for the Superbowl. It's lookin good! I'll report back if the rye makes any noticeable affect on the beer.

I thought about swapping the 2-row for MO to add more character and I'm still thinking of adding 1/4-1/2 lb of wheat to get more head on it

I brewed this one for the first time today. 5 gallon batch, I used a half oz each Willamette and Hallertauer Mittlefrue for 60 min of a 90 minute total boil.

I made a batch of CO3C plus 1 on January 9th.

4 lbs 2 row
1 lb grits
1 lb Minute Rice
1 lb flaked rye
1/2 Carapils
.63 oz Willamet (60 min)
Good Ol Nottingham!

I only got a S.G. Of 1.040, so my mash (I believe) didn't convert everything, although my iodine test was good. My mash lasted 30 min @135 and then 3 more hours at 146. Ph of 4.9. Good long 90 min boil.

It's been in primary at 62 for a week now and I'm gonna run it for 2 more and keg for the Superbowl. It's lookin good! I'll report back if the rye makes any noticeable affect on the beer.

1.042 would have been 75% efficiency for a 5 gallon batch so if you added slightly more to your fermenter you did ok with that grainbill.
With the rye you might have to call yours Cream of 4 Crops.
I did my first with US-05 and it tasted great. My nottingham batch was terrible, Notty is too temp sensative for my setup. Good luck with yours.

1.042 would have been 75% efficiency for a 5 gallon batch so if you added slightly more to your fermenter you did ok with that grainbill.
With the rye you might have to call yours Cream of 4 Crops.
I did my first with US-05 and it tasted great. My nottingham batch was terrible, Notty is too temp sensative for my setup. Good luck with yours.

Notty is REAL temp sensitive. I love how aggressive it is, and it is the yeast that drove me to put a fridge in the garage with a temp controller.

So, to give an update...
Last night, 7 1/2 days after pitching the Notty, I took a sample. There is still krausen on top, but I got a FG of 1.005. It is light in color and flavor, very effervescent, no real noticeable corn sweetness or rye spiciness, but tastes like a light beer with good flavor. Its been at 62 degrees since pitching.
I usually primary my ales with a week each at 62, 65, and 68 degrees(3 weeks total). While I get clean fermentations and full attenuation, I sometimes think it has more of a homebrew taste and less of a craft brew taste. Since this beer is for all purposes done, when I get home in 3 days, if the krausen has fallen, I'm gonna rack to a keg and cold crash it. That will be grain to keg in 2 weeks, and it should be perfectly ready for the SuperBowl!!

I cut the recipe in half for a 5.5 gallon batch and used S-04 yeast instead of S-05 only because the lhbs was out of the 05, think I would cut the corn back just a tad next time.

my scaled down recipe:
.75oz crystal/.75oz willamette
6# pale malt 2row(us)
8oz white rice
2# corn

went from 1.043 to 1.007-1.008
Beer came out great though, like a Budweiser or spotted cow

cream3cropsbeer.jpg

creamofthreecrops_co2bubbles_krausen_2014.jpg

Can someone assist with scaling the recipe down for a one-gallon test batch? I've never scaled down before.

Can someone assist with scaling the recipe down for a one-gallon test batch? I've never scaled down before.

Here is a drop to 1 gallon assuming 65% efficiency:

1 lbs 4.0 oz .. 2-Row
7.0 oz ......... Corn, Flaked
2.0 oz ......... Rice

0.15 oz Crystal - Boil 60.0 min
0.15 oz Willamette - Boil 60.0 min

1.0 pkg US-05 Yeast

Good Luck,
Cody

Well I have to give credit where credit is due. Biermuncher, absolutely simple and delicious recipe. I brewed a 5 gallon batch to test out and kegged it up after fermentation. Hit crazy ass efficiency on the tower. So all kegged up and me and the swmbo had a couple friends over. My buddy is an EXCLUSIVE PBR drinker asks what I've been brewing, so throwing caution to the wind I explain a simple cream ale. He tries it and chucks his pbr in the trash. Three hours later and 5 gallons of cream ale is gone. I have now doubled up and will only produce 10 gallons at a time. Going to kegs tomorrow again :)
Thank you!
Cheers!

I've made this several times with the scaled down version on the first page. Everyone who had tried it loved it other than getting a little higher than the original ABV it's always been great.

Tomorrow morning I trying Marris Otter in place of the two row.

Has anyone tried this? If not I'll let you know the outcome in a few weeks.

And a BIG shoutout to BierMuncher!! Thank you so much for the original recipe! I've made it and so many variations of it... Jus a really good, quaffable, sessionable, lawnmower, football beer that can be made at a great price.... Truly outstanding! Pröst!

Made a brewer's best extract kit with my dad after making two batches of co3c and its drinkable but not nearly as good as co3c. Cheap, ready quickly and a huge hit with bmc drinkers. Thanks BM

Its very drinkable. There is a flavor in there, I can't determine whether it is the bitterness from the Willamette pushing through because there is less malty barley goodness and more adjuncts or if its rye. Either way, its so subtle.. I doubt the remaining 4 gallons will last to the end of the game.

It was suffering from a degree of chill haze a few days ago, but it has clarified nicely, and that's even with the keg sitting in the keezer lagerator at 38 degrees.

Its very drinkable. There is a flavor in there, I can't determine whether it is the bitterness from the Willamette pushing through because there is less malty barley goodness and more adjuncts or if its rye. Either way, its so subtle.. I doubt the remaining 4 gallons will last to the end of the game.

It was suffering from a degree of chill haze a few days ago, but it has clarified nicely, and that's even with the keg sitting in the keezer lagerator at 38 degrees.

I think these light recipes are great for noticing subtle differences in hops or different malts. CO3C fits the bill perfectly. I like to follow the main malt bill and change hops to see if I can tell the difference.
I'm going to go crack one and get ready for the halftime show.:mug:

I'm thinking of brewing this for a third time, but subbing the 2-row out for MO and adding 4oz of oats for a creamier mouthfeel.

I don't want to scare off my bmc drinking dad though. He loves the original recipe. How much will MO and a dash of oats change the flavor?

Sooo im super curious on what others results are as well as how mine really is turining out.
Is there anyone willing to trade a bottle or two to let me try yours and tell me what you think of mine?

I brewed this up on Monday, and it's bubbling away. I changed it up and added 12 oz of honey malt, and 4oz of biscuit malt for a change. I am sure it will me more of a golden color, Beersmith says 4.7 SRM.

Well I just started the mash for a half batch of this. I got a kick out of weighing my Minute Rice and adding it to my grains. :)

I am doing BIAB in a turkey fryer. So here's how I think my process is going to go.

Mash in 4 Gal. of water at 152.
Put lid on and wrap up with two blankets and a sleeping bag.
Trust that that will do well enough for the mash, and RDWHAHB.
About 20 minutes before the end of the mash, use spare pot to bring 3 Gal of water up to 168.
When mash is done, Lift and drain bag, then "dunk sparge" in the 3 gal pot.

Bring the 4 gallons to a boil, deal with hot break, add some from 3 gal pot, deal with hot break, watch like a hawk, repeat till all the wort is in the turkey fryer pot, and boil.

Sound reasonable?

Sounds awesome to me. An alternative is to hange the bag over pot and pour sparge water over bag. Then squeeze it like heck.

I also mash out prior to lifting bag at 170 for 15 min.

Just finished bottling and ended up with 52 12oz servings of 5.6% Cream of 3 Crops ale! I had 84% attenuation from wlp080.

I'm making this again this weekend except this time I'm going W/ 1.5 pounds each of flaked corn and flaked rice. This recipe is so great for quick biab brew days.

Latest posts

Back