crazy (maybe impossible?) concept: alcoholic tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlegminitism

Reaction score
Firstly, i am an extremely new brewer, fresh off the press, wet behind the ears, and anxious to learn the tricks of the trade, and to learn what i can about good brew in order to edify my soul and make the world a better place one beer at a time. I have my first beer bottled, a dark ale, and though i made a few mistakes (a bit too much crystal malt and transferring the primary from my bedroom to the kitchen directly before bottling, causing a bit of the yeast materials at the bottom to make it into the bottles), the beer still seems to be turning out well after a taste test 1 week into bottle conditioning. Things are looking up.

And to the question:
A friend of mine who knows that i am getting into brewing sent me a query:
"I had to bring you my incredible beer-idea that came to me almost like a prophetic vision. You know I like flowery beers, but I also love herbal tea. What if... wait for it... you could make an herbal beer? Like jasmine beer or lavendar beer or or or chamolile beer!! Can it be done? Should it be done? Meditate on it and get back to me with your business proposal."

So to all you learned individuals of the community, how could this be done? Would a different base be used like just water and corn sugar, and dry hop with tea? That might be horrible, i have no idea, but i figured you wouldn't want tea that tasted like beer if you are a tea drinker. Any ideas?

We get someone asking about this about once a month, so it's not a crazy idea.

There's a good discussion here, I posted some info based on my experiences with my Nephew's Tea Wine;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/anyone-ever-ferment-iced-tea-138953/

Oh and there's also, you might have seen;

twistedtea.jpg

On a side note, I just discovered Elysian Brewery, and they make a Jasmine IPA out right now that I found to be pretty tasty. It said something like 'Brewed for Avatar by New Belgium' on the bottle, whatever that means:confused:. You might like it since you said you liked flowery beers.

I used Chamomile Tea bags in a recent Belgian Wit recipe. I only used 5 bags for 5 gallons, and it didn't impart much of a tea flavor.

I'm thinking a very simple grain bill, like Pale Malt, maybe some Crystal 10L with some EKG, Ahtanum and/or Hallertau hops (which have very floral characteristics). I think most of your hops would want to be late in the boil for flavor/aroma as opposed to bittering additions. Combine that with a lot of chamomile tea bags at flameout, and I'm thinking you'd end up with with a very tea-like, floral beer.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I think it could turn out to be a very pleasant brew.

I'm in the process of brewing up a lot of simple pale ales trying to find a good "House Ale" and I might try something like this.

Like jasmine beer or lavendar beer or or or chamolile beer!! Can it be done?

Elysian makes jasmine beer. I've had it before, it's not bad. But I'm mad at it because the only keg of it at the brewing festival I volunteered at a few weeks ago was all the way at the back under a bunch of other kegs. So we had to move a whole bunch of kegs to get to it. We almost killed ourselves.

AHS has a Hibiscus Saison that I was lucky enough to sample from a fellow homebrewer. I think it was wonderful and fragrant. You friend doesn't sound like he wants fermented tea, but rather Beer with some adjuncts that provide a flowery tone. I'd go with that first. A light witbier with adjuncts sounds good.

On a side note, I just discovered Elysian Brewery, and they make a Jasmine IPA out right now that I found to be pretty tasty. It said something like 'Brewed for Avatar by New Belgium' on the bottle, whatever that means:confused:. You might like it since you said you liked flowery beers.

Avatar? Like the kids show on Nickelodeon, Avatar: The Last Airbender? There is an uncle on the show who drinks nothing but Jasmine Tea. Weird connection if it were the reason.

In addition to the fact that chamomile is common in wits and there is at least one jasmine beer (mentioned above), I have seen at least one lavender beer as well.

As for the Elysian/New Belgium thing, they each brew beers at the others location. So I am guessing they are brewing Avatar (and probably the other year round Elysian beers) at New Belgium on the big brew house. I believe Lips of Faith beers are brewed at Elysian (smaller brew house).

Avatar? Like the kids show on Nickelodeon, Avatar: The Last Airbender? There is an uncle on the show who drinks nothing but Jasmine Tea. Weird connection if it were the reason.

I effing love that show, and I'm pumped for the movie next summer.

My girlfriend dragged me to see New Moon, so I'm gonna drag her to see the Avatar: the Last Airbender movie. Assuming of course, it turns out to look like a decent movie, can't tell anything by the teasers.

They filmed part of it down the street from me. It was great seeing all of the props being moved in. One day all of the extras were lined up at the services tent for lunch, and they were all decked out in their costumes. I can't wait for it either!

Thanks for all the info everyone, and thanks, Revvy, for the links to other informative posts. I'm not exactly sure what she was looking for, if it was more of a beer or just an alcoholic tea. I will see her in class today so i will ask, but either way, it seems that something interesting and drinkable could come from it. Thanks again! Feel free to add on more suggestions as well.

jasmine beer or lavender beer or or or chamomile beer

Been done commercially.
Been done commercially.
Been done commercially.

You can add tea to any Blonde or Mild with good results. Assuming you like jasmine, lavender or chamomile.

would it actually taste pretty close to tea if i didn't hop or carbonate it? Or would it probably be better to go with a carbonated tea with slightly floral hops?:tank:

I do want to carbonate some tea for giggles. But, I never sugar my tea and wonder what volume would be needed to balance the carbonic bite. Say, 2.5 volumes.

I'm shocked no one said "gruit"

no its not tea leaf based, but it certainly is herbal and flowery.

Lots of info out there on gruits and you can even use tea leaves for those as well as a flavouring addition.

I recently "dry hopped" a half gallon of a Blonde Ale with 1 bag of Tension Tamer, it is a bit strong but definitely a workable idea if you get the right tea/base beer and ratio.

Back