Crappy Fermentation!! I'm Pissed!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coreycs

Reaction score
Hey All,

In the 6 years I have been brewing I have never had any attenuation problems during fermentation.

A week in a half ago I finished a Stout that the OG was 1.060. I just checked the gravity today and it has been stuck at 1.030 for 4 or 5 days. I used Notty yeast which normally doesn't have any attenuation issues. Here is what I have done to see if I could complete fermentation, I shook the carboy to rouse up the yeast and I moved it to a warmer place, no success.

Here is what I think may be the factor. I just changed my equipment which has taken a 2 batch learning curve to figure out, this was the second batch.

I had some overheating issues during the mash where the temp reached close to the upper 170's, while trying to recirculate with my direct heat MLT. I think I may have destroyed some enzymes making my wort less fermentable. What do you think?

:mad:

Did you rehydrate the yeast? How old was the packet? I think your issue is far more likely to be the yeast than mash temperatures. I would buy another pack of yeast, rehydrate, and pitch. Some people swear by Notty, personally I used it once and never will again.

With the info given, it sounds like a mash issue. I would throw some brett in there to see if it will eat away at some more complex sugars.

How much Brett would you use? What kinda off flavors should I expect in using Brett. Never used it before, but have heard of this being done.

Thanks

Back